Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out at the range today and was speaking with a buddy... Asked him if he knew much about improving the trigger on the 91/30's. Not much, he replied. The fellow said that I should just put some shims in between the sear spring and the receiver. Doing that would decrease the weight of the trigger pull. What good advice indeed! After scrounging around all over the apartment, I was coming up short on material to work with. Tried to cut some shims out of the body of a soda can, but it just wasn't enough material to affect a good reduction in trigger pull. After brainstorming on it a bit longer, I decided to try sticking the pop-top from the soda can in there instead. It might work for you, and it might not work for you. Results will vary, right? Mine feels MUCH better after doing this, and it also breaks more crisply. Has anyone else done something like this before?

·
Registered
123 Posts
by "slop" are you referring to the first part BEFORE the trigger activates? The part that a trigger return spring helps with? Or are you referring to the over-travel, which a drop of epoxy behind the trigger helps a lot with.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I remember seeing that one a while back, but I am working on a budget here. I prefer to spend my cash on reloading components. However... When I DO come in the way of having the money to spend on that nifty roller sear trigger, I probably will! Thanks for the suggestion.

-Thomas

·
Silver Bullet Member
391 Posts
Or buy a M39's trigger. Best $20 one can spend. Roller ball triggers are still single stage with no tactile indication before break (if I am not mistaken). If you want a military (two-stage) trigger a M39's is the way to go.

·
Registered
117 Posts
TomsBull: There are several mods that can be employed to improve the MN trigger.

• You can remove metal from the center of the spring/sear, making it slightly narrower and thinner. Go easy, use trial and error. When you get to about 2.5# of pull, stop.
  • You should polish the spring/sear where it contacts the trigger, make it mirror bright. Do the same to the corresponding contact surface inside the trigger, using a thin strip of fine emery cloth.
  • If you can find a Finn-modified trigger, try installing that. They have two little pins inside the trigger that provide a genuine two-stage letoff, very clever those Finns.

The end result is a much improved trigger that is conducive to accurate shooting, even if its not a crisp break like your Winchester Model 70. - CW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts