Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad and i went shooting again this weekend. I was shooting the Blackhawk and the front site blade took off on the third shot. This is the second time this has happened since Dad bought it a few years ago. Both times this has happened we were unable to find the blade to see what it looks like. A new site was installed by a gunsmith the first time. The site blade fits into a deep groove and is pinned in place. The pin is still there and is fully in place, so the blade itself has to be breaking in order for it to take off like that. Anyone else had this problem or hear of it happening.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,931 Posts
no problems with mine... a 7 1/2. how long is the barrel on yours? OOPS, i'm sorry. mine is a super redhawk. may be built a little beefier.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Have the same gun in stainless and never heard of that happening. First time could be a fluke, but twice? Call Ruger and find out the fix but unless they pay shipping both ways, you're better off fixing it locally.

Good luck!

·
Silver Bullet member
36,346 Posts
Shot my stainless Super Blackhawk for years, no problem except my hand had a tendency to bleed a bit! That was cured by selling it and buying a Super Redhawk which fits my hand a lot better. Never heard of it happening, but you could try pin and solder.
This would probably be covered by Ruger's free repair policy.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. We thought it was pretty strange happening twice as well. I think soldering is the way to go. Dad should contact Ruger also. Those smaller grips really do ad to the muzzle flip, maybe thats part of it. I always fire it with two hands but Dad always shoots it with one hand. A lighter replacement site might help reduce inertia too but really it shouldn't be doing that in the first place. Pretty wild that the pin is left in place and the site gone.:confused:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Let it flip! I definitely think the right way to shoot a Magnum plow-handled revolver is to let it flip on recoil. When I shoot mine, it's always with Mag loads and I shoot it both double and single-handedly with no problems at all. I'm not saying this to seem like a tough guy, conversely my .38spl S&W M60 kicks like a sumbitch 'cause I have a hard time grasping it with my large hands (and refuse to add oversized grips to a purposely small gun).

·
Gunboards Sponsor
249 Posts
Scott,
the pin is still there?..perhaps you didnt get it fixed properly by the gunsmith? I would contact Ruger and have them fix it.. most likely it will be free..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts