Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought a Suomi awhile ago, and finally got to get to the range. Its a heavy gun, almost no recoil. Its a pleasure to shoot, I could have shot this all day. It ran well for about 150 rounds then started to jam. I noticed that the bolt is parkerized, i'm thinking as it heated up it started to stick. I might try to polish it and see if that helps. (any imput would be appreciated) I was using stick mags and coffin mags. I like the quality of the build, parts fit well and the welding job is very good. Im glad I bought it. Here is the Suomi, and me shooting it at my range. It was a fun day.

·
Admin Emeritus
19,073 Posts
Shot mine today from TG and it ran OK. I had a few stove pipes which is almost always mag issues. Tried another 36 rd stick and it was better. Ran it with a 50rd stick and it ran nearly flawlessly. Just a couple of issues. The last was a 72 rd drum which ran great for me but I still cant figure out how to load the damn thing to full. I ran half and it did not pick up the outer ring of bullets. It was a joy to shoot as you report. Loved the absence of recoil from how sturdy this thing is (and only 9mm) and the thunk but no push. It was a blast and I bet you had as much fun as I did. Mine was actually pretty darn accurate. No problem with 25yds all in the black, no issues with 50yds in the black and then the 100 yd test found them all on the paper but no real group. It was really windy that day and that may have some play in and the fact that I'm not Carlos Hathcock with a 15 pd gun and a heavy trigger. I had the same issues with mine in that the bolt was really hard to cock and I think it was the park on the carrier and inside of the tube. I'll bead blast mine to polish it as that may help.

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
I would bead blast the bolt and I would also see what you could do to get rid of the park on the inside of the gun. As you can see the bolt has two larger diameters and then it is reduced in the middle. These two ridges are the only things supposed to touch the receiver tube and touch as least as possible so that it doesn't bind. Parkerizing causes the binding of the bolt. I would be willing to bet that if you polished the bolt and put it in the white as it should, you won't have nearly as many a problems with the feeding.

Also, the extractor needs to have the parkerizing taken off it. The originals were blued and parkerizing I think makes them not ride right in the slot. To take the extractor out, secure the bolt in a vice with a towel wrapped around it and then using a screw driver push on the extractor from the middle of the bolt face towards the outside. Once it is pushed away from the body, start to pull on the extractor face and pivot off the front of the bolt. The extractor has a little pin on it, IIRC, that needs to be pulled clear of the bolt so the rest of the extractor can be pulled forward and out of the groove. I can't get to my parts kit right now, it's buried.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,189 Posts
Great looking stock! Here's a couple of things that helped mine. Make sure the barrel shroud is tight to the reciever. There is a set screw on the left side of the receiver that can back out. Polishing the bolt were it contacts the reciever and where is rides over the magazine can help. You may also want to polish the parkerizing off of the chamber.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,063 Posts
Definitely polish the bolt and tube, that'll help a lot, especially with the cocking problem. The tolerances seem tight inside of the '31s, and you have to remember that two rough surfaces are going to create a rather large amount of friction together.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Great looking stock! I agree with the comments said so far on the parkerized part friction. How long is it going to take before someone strips all the parkerized finish and does a nice blue finish on one of these? I'd like to do that with mine someday and it would look much nicer for sure.

·
Site Contributor
1,341 Posts
Looking nice, I wish we could get these in this side of the pond. I am also wondering why they didn't do blue finish on these, since that is the original finish. Luckily I have had change of lately shooting few hundred rounds with the original M/31 submachineguns. BTW: gripping the magazine is not recommended with Suomi M/31, depending exactly how well the individual magazine fits to individual weapon, this may cause failure to feed - so best to grip the front stock (or barrel jacket, since it one can't really get it hot with semi-auto fire).

Jarkko

·
Diamond Member
1,003 Posts
Parkerized bolt??? Mine's (i.e. grandpa's) still in the white!

The last was a 72 rd drum which ran great for me but I still cant figure out how to load the damn thing to full. I ran half and it did not pick up the outer ring of bullets.
I don't understand the problem? I assume that you open the mag and wind the spring first?

BTW, Swissrifles, thats a nicely figured stock you have!

·
Registered
783 Posts
I think they are parkerized because the outside of the receiver possibly would show weld marks from where they reattached the parts of the gun back together?? I too think it would look better blued, but that was my hypothesis. SwissRifles- I thought I had a nice stock- yours is great!
JMG

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
My two shooting buddies each bought a Semi-Suomi. They noticed the hard to cock thing and had some feeding issues as well. The one single problem that put both guns out of action is the trigger return spring. That spring broke in one gun after 500rds and about 200rds in the other one.

I think that spring is an original part not a " made for the conversion" one...Both trigger groups went back to the maker for repair/replacement covered by the warranty.

·
Site Contributor
1,341 Posts
They noticed the hard to cock thing and had some feeding issues as well.
Does this semiauto-only version fire from open bolt or closed bolt? If the cocking system is similar as in the original (pull the handle in end of the receiver to pull the bolt back and once you get bolt rear enough it locks there), then that is not a flaw, but a feature. :tisk: The loading grip needs be pulled hard also in the original submachinegun (which is why we train to first cock Suomi M/31, then put safety on and insert magazine only after that).

BTW: Never heard about any problems with the trigger return spring when it comes to real Suomi M/31.

Jarkko

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
It fires from the closed bolt position.

I believe this is also because they have a rubber buffer and two recoil springs. The original only ever had the single recoil spring.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
9,156 Posts
Are these picky with ammo or will they digest about anything? I keep looking and thinking of reasons I don't need one and have not come up with a good arguement yet ;)

·
Gold Bullet member
3,084 Posts
Nice looking weapon. I too would like to pick one of these up but keep hesitating because of the reliability issues.

PAshutr3

·
Admin Emeritus
19,073 Posts
I fed mine Egyptian 9mm and it ran fine. I fed it Winchester 9mm and it fed fine as well. Ammo is not as problem as are the triggers. Those seem to have been fixed.

·
Banned
3,414 Posts
I polished mine-works 110% better,I need to do the inside of the bolt tube,but yes do so it sticks like a b**** otherwise.

I'll link you to a thread when I talked about doing that in a bit.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.