Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last spring I "discovered" the Swedish sporting rifles that are the subject of this forum, and as a result I had to have one. The rifle I picked for my first was a 1947 Husqvarna Model 648 (in 8x57 caliber) that I purchased from Allan's Armory. I love the familiarity of the military style action, the graceful, slim lines of the stock with it's schnabel foreend, and it's light handling and easy pointing characteristics. One thing I had to have was iron sights with no drilled and tapped holes in the receiver - a rifle in original configuration. I found a vintage narrow leather sling for the rifle in the bargain bin at a local gun shop. I think I only paid $10 for it, but it fit the sling swivels perfectly, and was in very nice condition.

Now that I had the rifle, I needed to develop a good hunting load for it. I experimented with a few bullets and powders, but settled on the 185 gr. Remington Core-Lokt bullet over 50.0 gr. of IMR4350. This load gave me an average velocity of 2360 fps with the point of impact just above the top of the front sight bead at 100 yards. In my final test I was able to put 6 shots in a 2 inch group at 100 yards - plenty good enough for hunting blacktail deer in the thick cover they inhabit.

I've never hunted with a rifle with iron sights, so I was a little apprehensive about going afield without the 3-9 power scope that I had depended on in the past. One thing was for sure, I didn't want to take a shot outside of my effective range, which I figured was about 150 yards.

To make a long story short, the hunting was hard and our group only saw 2 deer in 3 days of hunting. We were hunting in an area that was new to us, which, as it turned out, didn't have very many deer in it. As luck would have it, a deer stepped out on the logging road about 80 yards in front of me and gave me a quartering away shot as it looked back at me over it's shoulder. I knelt down, aimed and fired a shot, then watched as the deer turned and jumped back off the road where it had come from. After a brief search, I found the deer laying about 50 yards off the road. The shot couldn't have been better, entering the back of the ribs and quartering forward to the far shoulder. The bullet performed well causing catastrophic damage to the vitals, but fragmented more than I expected, acting more like a Nosler ballistic tip, than a core-lokt bullet. On the far side of the deer I found one jacket fragment under the skin, and a hole where another fragment exited the hide. My final thoughts are that this load is acceptable for deer, but wouldn't be good for something as large as an elk.

As for the trophy deer, well, it didn't have any antlers, but it's a trophy in my book being my first deer taken with iron sights using a vintage Swedish sporting rifle. A very satisfying hunt. Here are some pictures:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Outstanding!! Walnut and blue steel. Traditional methods, good shooting, home made ammunition and some fine table fare!!!

The ghosts of many fine old sportsman are smiling down on you.

More rewarding than a big buck taken with a stainless steel composite stocked, CNC machined, 10X scoped short mag with factory ammo from a heated blind over bait or a food plot.

You are a real hunter, rifleman and sportsman.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
These are my personal favorite threads!

Thanks so much for posting!

Great stuff. :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Outstanding!! Walnut and blue steel. Traditional methods, good shooting, home made ammunition and some fine table fare!!!

The ghosts of many fine old sportsman are smiling down on you.

More rewarding than a big buck taken with a stainless steel composite stocked, CNC machined, 10X scoped short mag with factory ammo from a heated blind over bait or a food plot.

You are a real hunter, rifleman and sportsman.
Well said. Hunting with vintage irons puts a whole new perspective on hunting.

Congrats on the venison!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.