Gunboards Forums banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

· Registered
1,489 Posts
Cool.

Something I just learned for first time: When the crew scrambled onto the deck, the sub's diesels were still running and "in gear," moving the vessel forward at just a few knots to help keep it from sinking. U-505 was still moving under her own power as the yanks were rigging the tow line.

· Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Sorry Clyde...
Missed my window to get closeup pics of the Bowfin on the dry dock.
Diddled around too long. They called me this afternoon and told me they are launching in the AM and I won't be anywhere near.
You are right though the props are gone. That little video in post #18 covers it well.
Bummer!
Gordy

· Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
101,779 Posts
Sorry Clyde...
Missed my window to get closeup pics of the Bowfin on the dry dock.
Diddled around too long. They called me this afternoon and told me they are launching in the AM and I won't be anywhere near.
You are right though the props are gone. That little video in post #18 covers it well.
Bummer!
Gordy
Loss of the props should be no great surprise. Donated ships are not likely to ever return for service, easy enough to remove the (valuable) bronze props as part of the donation processing, and removal would insure that the ships could not somehow be reactivated by some enemy. Yes - theft or reactivation would not seem likely, but - well, why take chances? One of the props from Texas was sent down to San Jacinto and displayed next to the ship. It offered an idea of what it took to translate the output of the big triple expansion, four-cylinder engines to forward motion.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts