Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
Collector of military rifles and modern handguns.
586 Posts
They should take a page from the USS Drum playbook, and get it out of the water.
The ship that sunk at the pier was the USS Sullivan. They've pumped it out and have it back up, but with major damage.
I have visited the Drum several times, parked next to the Battleship Alabama. It make for a fun day trip.

· Registered
586 Posts
Glad it's getting the repairs it needs.

Another ww2 era sub is not so lucky. The USS Clamagore is about to be torn apart for it's materials because the cost of repair is too expensive for the museum it's at. We've got billions to send to other nations and little apparently to repair our nations history.
I am sure that the museum would gladly have you restore the sub rather than wrecking it.

It is not an either/or proposition. Personally, if it were an either/or I would rather spend billions protecting our future than saving one rotted out WWII sub. It is not as if it were the only one remaining. In fact, there is still one U.S. made WWII sub that is still in service.

· Registered
586 Posts
I visited the Alabama and Drum many times when I lived on Dauphin Island, Alabama. The Alabama was not one of the largest classes of battleship but was still huge. The Drum made me really appreciate what the submariners went through, the interior is really cramped for space. I think I would have a real problem with claustrophobia if I were submerged in the Drum for more than 30 minutes!
When I joined the Navy it was my desire to serve in a sub, until I saw one. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts