Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
380 Posts
I hate losing a sub, but if all the ones that could be lost it’s the one we can survive. It’s a sub that was built too late to see WW2 combat, and was then heavily modified postwar.
Then it is representative of the first part of the Cold War, which is important history as well!

Reactions: ncreptile

· Registered
380 Posts
Did those guys standing on the bow of U-505 think that was a safe place to be? Lol
I think there were other guys telling them to stand there, presumably backed by 20mms and .50 cals on the DD parked alongside, so that seemed the safest thing to do. ;-)

Seriously, the order had been given to "abandon ship" on the surrounded and sinking U-boat about to go down any moment, and the bow was the only place they could go while waiting for the U.S. whaleboats to pick them up.

Meanwhile, a team of crazy Americans had scrambled down the hatch and into the sloshing bowels seeking to locate the water cock they suspected the Germans had opened - and grab the Enigma machine and code books.
If you look closer, you will see that the American flag was already flying from the conning tower, and the men on the bow are actually handling a line from the US ship the photo was taken from... they were getting her ready to be towed.

· Registered
380 Posts
Right. I think there are photos of both groups out on the bow, first the Germans awaiting rescue/capture, then the yanks preparing to take a tow (the scene in the painting).
Posts #27 & #32 have the photo (not painting) I am referring to... #32 also has a photo of the German crew on the bow (no flag visible, launch not quite to the sub yet).

They are hauling a light "lead" line, to pull over the heavy towing line.

You can see the line in the crews' hands in the photo I am referring to if you right-click on it then open and enlarge it:
Water Boat Watercraft Naval architecture Ship

Reactions: Tempest2
1 - 4 of 4 Posts