Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
101,781 Posts
Looks as if it can use some attention, good that it is getting it. Didn't a boat on the East Coast sink at moorings a few years ago?

Looks like Bowfin got to keep her shafts and props, unlike Texas.

101,781 Posts
They should take a page from the USS Drum playbook, and get it out of the water.
The ship that sunk at the pier was the USS Sullivan. They've pumped it out and have it back up, but with major damage.
Sullivans ("S" is part of the name - ship was named for five brothers who were all crewman on CLAA Juneau sunk by the Japanese during the fighting around Guadalcanal) was the second museum ship to sink at moorings in the Northeast. First one was WWII submarine USS Ling.

101,781 Posts
Shafts, yes. But not props. If you watch the time-lapse, you'll see the shafts are bare at the ends.
The piccie I saw left me with the perception of (rather blurred, poorly focused) props. I've looked again and nope, those bronze castings aren't there. Curse the thieves.

101,781 Posts
Sorry Clyde...
Missed my window to get closeup pics of the Bowfin on the dry dock.
Diddled around too long. They called me this afternoon and told me they are launching in the AM and I won't be anywhere near.
You are right though the props are gone. That little video in post #18 covers it well.
Bummer!
Gordy
Loss of the props should be no great surprise. Donated ships are not likely to ever return for service, easy enough to remove the (valuable) bronze props as part of the donation processing, and removal would insure that the ships could not somehow be reactivated by some enemy. Yes - theft or reactivation would not seem likely, but - well, why take chances? One of the props from Texas was sent down to San Jacinto and displayed next to the ship. It offered an idea of what it took to translate the output of the big triple expansion, four-cylinder engines to forward motion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts