Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all;

I have an opportunity to purchase a Styer built/rebuilt wz.29/40 with the Polish eagle and F.B. Radom markings on the receiver. I have not seen it yet, but plan to later this week.

What is a decent price for this rifle?

The guy says its in excellent shape, matching, and has Luftwaffe markings on it. It is not a R/C. I'm really looking for a Polish wz.29, but this rifle really peaks my interest. The guy says he wants around $700 for it. If it is what he says it is, is this a good price? Is there anything I should know to look for before I go to see it?

The only "german" K98 that I own is a Portuguese M.941, is the wz.29/40 similar?

Thanks, Stoggie

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Look for all the standard things that one would look for on any other rifle....original bluing, non-sanded stock, matching numbers, good bore, etc etc....depending on these things....you could then determine a value. This is a nice variation if found in good condition, and worth well over that if nice....but if messed with....less than that....see if the guy will let you take some pictures....then post them here, and you will have a full detailed opinion on it in a few hours....hope that helps some - Bill

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
If it's legit, non sanded, matched, etc.. then it's worth two or three times the asking price.
If it IS sanded, not matched, etc.. THEN the asking price is close to right.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies guys, I appreciate it. I'll let you know how everything turns out when I get to take a look at it - and I'll post pics if I can.

Thanks again,

Stoggie

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, I picked it up.

It is not all matching and excellent as it was described to me, but it is nice and rare, so I picked it up anyway. I was only able to talk the guy down to $650.

On the up side, the blueing is about 50% on the receiver, and 80% on everything else. The receiver has the F.B. Radom with the bird, 660 on the receiver, and wz. stuck out with 29/40. All WaA marks are present where they are supposed to be, and the swastikas are not peened. All the matching parts are WaA 623 or 77. Stock is early with flat buttplate and bolt takedown is also WaA 623

The downside, stock is sanded and refinished - they used stain on it. I think the stock is renumbered as it is sanded enough to lose all the markings, but the serial number is in the right spot and quite prominent. Also, inside the stock there is a different number on the barrel channel. The barrel is import marked - GERMANY. There is some pitting on the triggerguard, and it looks like someone slopily tried to reblue it. The only parts that are not matching and not WaA 77 are (actually all non matching parts are completely unmarked - some look scrubbed): Front and rear bands, and the back half of the bolt (pin, safety, striker, and the part that hold those together).

The weird - the bolt confuses me. I hope someone has some experience with this. The bolt handle is marked 066. It is the last 3 of the rifle number, but the font is large. It also has the German bird with the eagle, and WaA 77. It doesn't look scrubbed at all. Also, the bend is different. It looks to me like it was a straight bolt that was bent. Is it possible this is a bolt meant for the wz.29 that was captured and bent at Steyr? Is this normal?

Any comments appreciated.

Stoggie

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, sadly, the flash on my camera died - so I can't take any decent pics. I will try to get pics during a bright day and post them.

Stoggie.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts