Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
4,063 Posts
Thats just it, if I go with the 74 I'm going to need to get ammo regardless. I suppose I'll have to go with the ammo and wait on the ak.
I'll buy one in your honor :laugh:

In all seriousness though, I completely agree... it's hard to be poor, but the smart idea at this point would be the AK. The ammo's going to be there for the foreseeable future, but the AK could go back to its regular price in the time it takes you to save up for one.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I agree with Fatherson... The deal is out there on the rifle. If you dont own one in that caliber like MrRiddick brought up, Get it! These are the lowest prices that you will see for some time. Crimeny they are cheaper than the WASRs!!!!!!!! What are you waiting for????????? Call Centerfire systems NOW ...Oh and ask for Pam say you are a member.

·
Registered
339 Posts
A ferrari with out fuel is a very, very big paperweight. Same with a gun and no ammo.

However they both would be very cool paperweights :)

Depending on the ammo you are trying to buy, prices of ammo is starting to ease off a little. You may find that if you buy the rifle and then save up for the ammo later that the prices may have gone down a tad saving you money. But remember the AK's at centerfire are on sale and I think you'll kick yourself later if you let this pass you by. Or everytime somebody posts a picture of the 'old days'........

I'd just buy the rifle......you know you want to anyways, just let the peer pressure from this forum take a hold and buy it. and besides, all the cool people are doing it too :)

Stinkyrat

·
Registered
339 Posts
Great, I thought I had my mind made up, now I want the rifle.
Your welcome :)

Ammo is just one of those things that I love to hate to buy. Its awesome having a crap load of it sitting around the man cave and shooting lots of it, that is the part that I love. But you have to do one of two things with it; you shoot it all, which then you have to buy more to replace it which I hate doing. Or second, you stock up on it, dont shoot it and then you are stareing at ammo that cost you a lot of money and it just sits there, which I hate. And ammo that just sits there isnt fun.

At least a new gun is fun to have, both if you are shooting it and if it just sits there.

You'll thank me later.

Stinkyrat

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Stinky the devils advocate! I love the way you put the add on you post. I think you may have twisted a few arms. I have been tweeking my AK74 for about a week now. I just got a Blonde stock for it today. the play factor is way more interesting with a rifle than the ammo. Over the winter I built a Ar15 that was Nice!!! peice by peice. Im not rich eather. Oh I sold it before I ever got to see how realy nice it was.:( It funded my next 2 FUN projects.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
You need to do some accounting like Barak Obama. First add up all the money you'll "save" on these bargains by buying them on sale instead of the regular previous high prices. Then subtract those savings from what you have to pay for them, bringing your total price close to zero.

Then you'll of course need to lay out the money for the stuff, even though you "proved" it costs almost nothing. So go to the nearest Chinese people's republic consulate or branch bank and borrow the money from them. If you have a credit card with a high enough balance, like Barak Obama, then this step isn't needed. You can use the plastic to pay for everything and the Chinese loan is automatic.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Be smart and get some ammo if you dont have alot of funds. the 5.45 ammo will be expensive as hell when the surplus runs out . And them cranking out cheap ak74's is gonna make that happen even quicker. I saw this happen with 8 mm along time ago before it came back . Thing is at least the 8mm mausers that ate the ammo up were collectable.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Vlad I picked up some Golden tiger at the last show in town. I dont like runing the corrosive stuff in semi autos. the russians are still using 5.45 arnt they? I can see the price going up. but with demand do you think that there may be a production increase?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
OK so have I . I have bought other than surplus ( Tiger ,Wolf whatever ). SO all are accociated with the x soviet union. All rounds produced commercialy are Rusasian as well . Production Increase? Get a grip .If they are surplusing fresh surplus ammo why do you think there would be a production increase?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Just a few questions I put out there. I like and respect your oppinions. Just a question. I see the increace in cunsumtion in the US happening. Why do you think they would make less or cut it off? Are they just balancing the books by selling it off cheap to us? Or do you think they are developing a market for it. Does it take that long to get the market going for the production to go up. I understand the experiance that you have that I dont with the 8mm. nothing good lasts a long time.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,563 Posts
OK so have I . I have bought other than surplus ( Tiger ,Wolf whatever ). SO all are associated with the x soviet union. All rounds produced commercially are Rusasian as well . Production Increase? Get a grip .If they are surplussing fresh surplus ammo why do you think there would be a production increase?
Maybe they're surplussing it, to keep their arms industry running without a war? We do it all the time. What's funny is that the US government calls it "foreign aid". Foreign aid is money we give to other nations that comes with this restriction: They can only spend the money on things sold by listed and approved US companies. This is corporate welfare, plain and simple, and its purpose is to keep industries considered strategically important running at a capacity that they need to be able to support the US when we turn to them to buy stuff.

Ostensibly.

It's possible that the Russians are doing something similar - selling new equipment and ammo at surplus, so they can keep buying from companies close to Putin. This can also be called cronyism. You help me and I'll help you.

Not saying that's what's happening, but given then nature of the beast it's not that big a stretch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You should get the rifle. It is well worth the money. It was the best $350 purchase I had made in awhile. I can still get 2180 rounds of surplus ammo shipped to my house for 13 cents a round. Even if and when surplus ammo dries up, you can still buy commercial Russian ammo for about the same price as 7.62X39. It's a fun and accurate round to shoot, and flatter shooting than the 7.62X 39. There are also AR uppers being made in 5.45. I imagine sooner or later there will be U.S. manufactured ammo in this round. It will probably cost more, but it will probably use boxer primed brass cases that are reloadable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.