Gunboards Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just amazes me that some folk really don't have a clue to being sensible--I believe they just don't care; we're supposed to allow them to do as they please because we're not smart enough to "get" the joke. "Freedom of Speech" my apelike behind; this is an attempt to rub smartass in the noses of other folk.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070922/D8RQFVF81.html

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
59,988 Posts
They should have been safe and took her out. Telling to raise her hands, etc. was foolish for it it had been a bomb, they would have been gone along with everyone else close by. OTOH, if they took her out, such a risk would be greatly less.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
They look pretty smug in that car (but stills can be mis-interpreted easily) but if they are, they believe the jokes on us.... dumb stunt by stupid elitists.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
I'm torn on this one.

The "device" in no way resembles any bomb I have ever seen.

From the early news reports, they made it sound as if she had a literal fake bomb vest and was calling it "art." Based on the pic in the linked article, not at all.

I expected to see the stereotype raghead "suicide vest" or some Wile. E. Coyote contraption complete with big sticks of dynamite and curly wires.

All she had was a radio-shack hobby pin-board, some LEDs, a battery, and probably a microprocessor making the LEDs flash in a certain order. I'd hazard a guess they spelled out something or otherwise had meaning to her boyfriend.

Seriously -- this is no less ridiculous than the previous Boston "scare" with the cartoon "finger"...

From where I am sitting, the "authorities" overreacted -- Again.

Still -- they're right about the fact that chicky is lucky she's not in the morgue.

$0.02 -- YMMV...

DD

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
If you are from the "Roadrunner" generation, wouldn't a big red letter stencil "ACME" lend itself far more to "art" or parody than what she actually wore?????? Certainly what she wore would be common place to me or you in a technical sense.... but to the uninitiated it has TOTALLY different meaning than "ART"!!!!! Just like anti-gunners see BB guns in the same light as an M2HB.... it is a context issue but if you want LESS of an over reaction; then we should demand better training for our crack the whip overseers at airports... virtually none of them know what post-modernism is, nevermind mainstream impressionism.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Print the pic.

Show it to 50 people at random on a city street.

Ask them what it is.

How many do you think will say "bomb"?

Most of the TSA @$$hats need remedial training in ... oh... just about EVERYTHING.

DD

DD

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I'm torn on this one.

The "device" in no way resembles any bomb I have ever seen.

From the early news reports, they made it sound as if she had a literal fake bomb vest and was calling it "art." Based on the pic in the linked article, not at all.

I expected to see the stereotype raghead "suicide vest" or some Wile. E. Coyote contraption complete with big sticks of dynamite and curly wires.

All she had was a radio-shack hobby pin-board, some LEDs, a battery, and probably a microprocessor making the LEDs flash in a certain order. I'd hazard a guess they spelled out something or otherwise had meaning to her boyfriend.

Seriously -- this is no less ridiculous than the previous Boston "scare" with the cartoon "finger"...

From where I am sitting, the "authorities" overreacted -- Again.

Still -- they're right about the fact that chicky is lucky she's not in the morgue.

$0.02 -- YMMV...

DD
DD,

I agree with your sentiments. I spent 11 years as an electronic tech in the Chair Force, and most repair shops had a minimum stock of 1-3 "Breadboards" for troubleshooting and/or designing small circuits. The authorities overreacted, but she should have given her attire a second thought before strolling into Logan airport IMHO;) http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/breadb.htm

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
No argument there, although this is the growing problem.

Why should we have to think twice (or more) about everything we do because some idiot with authority may overreact?

Not only are the lunatics running the asylum, but the waterheads seem to be driving the short-bus as well.

DD

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Overreacted"? No, not at all, in my opinion. Strolls into the airport with an obviously crude strange blinking electronic device attached to her chest? I'm certainly no fan of the idiotic TSA , but this time they showed remarkable restraint. She is veeery lucky she was not approaching the El Al concourse.

·
Silver Bullet member
34,491 Posts
I think the girl did just what she intended to do - stir up a brouhaha that would cause controversy. The girl did something she knew would stir up the animals, but she endangered herself and probably a lot of bystanders in the process.

Probably no one who was really trying to sneak a device through security would show up dressed as she was, with what amounted to a flashing sign saying basically, "I might have a bomb on me!!" But she did, no doubt knowing she would put TSA in a "damned of ya do, damned if ya don't" situation. Reminds me of the anti-Viet Nam demonstrators whose main objective was to get arrested for protesting the war. TSA couldn't take any chances, because there would always be the possibility that someone would try to get by security by being SO obvious that TSA wouldn't take them seriously. Yep, if she pulled that at Ben Gurion airport, she would have been dead of multiple GSW before she hit the floor.

Given the very high potential for an over-reaction by TSA, the kid is damn lucky she didn't get hosed. Making a statement is anyone's right, but making a statement by doing something really stupid is... really stupid.

·
59,988 Posts
its not stupid -- because they know nothing will be done.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
....You diodeheads may be comfortable with printed circuits and flashing lights, but most folks, me included, don't know what is real and what's fake. Since 80% + of communication is nonverbal and includes furtive looks, sweating, nontypical and outlandish behavior like this gal, how can you say the State Police overreacted and , in some other thread, complain that they didn't catch someone who gets through the drill. Would AM and DD really have been comfortable with a Trooper smiling at The 'joke' art and waving her through ?

....I think not.

...This was planned to provoke. Her atty claims that she told " an airport worker " that it was art, not a bomb. A skycap ? Groundskeeper ?
..The Goofballs who put up the neon birds claimed to be advertising on the cheap, and a case can be made that they were doing that, stupidly. But this is no different than yelling Hyjack on a plane. I hope they burn her ass.

·
59,988 Posts
They will probably smack her hand and send her home. OTOH, if it were you or me, since we are not liberal, we would get a vacation.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
....You diodeheads may be comfortable with printed circuits and flashing lights, but most folks, me included, don't know what is real and what's fake. Since 80% + of communication is nonverbal and includes furtive looks, sweating, nontypical and outlandish behavior like this gal, how can you say the State Police overreacted and , in some other thread, complain that they didn't catch someone who gets through the drill. Would AM and DD really have been comfortable with a Trooper smiling at The 'joke' art and waving her through ?

....I think not.

...This was planned to provoke. Her atty claims that she told " an airport worker " that it was art, not a bomb. A skycap ? Groundskeeper ?
..The Goofballs who put up the neon birds claimed to be advertising on the cheap, and a case can be made that they were doing that, stupidly. But this is no different than yelling Hyjack on a plane. I hope they burn her ass.
I agree……… but, they won’t “burn her ass”……. not in this state.
Look at what they did to these 2 "Gentlemen" ;

just say you’re sorry and 100 hours community service.
I think at the very least, the judge should have said “Bridgewater State for 2 weeks “observation””. That is the “mental institution” of the Mass-hole prison system” (lot of “sick” people in there). Then IF they are found competent to stand trial, and IF they are found guilty, then the 100 hours of unpaid community service AT Bridgewater State. Um….Rasputin with the “hair”, he’s not even a U.S. citizen. He’s here on a student visa.

Oh…….. Here is a pic of one their first “works of art” that was phoned in last January
View attachment 5719
Don’t know bout you, but I sorta think……..to me, anyhow, it sorta don’t look like it belongs there…….. Now, a lot of people (me included) don’t watch the “cartoon network“. So how would they know it is just “advertising” ?
At the same time (within an hour) of this (lite-brite “work of art“) being phoned in, there was a pipe bomb (a real pipe bomb, not a lite-brite “work of art” ) threat on one of the bridges, and there was ALSO a bomb threat INSIDE of one of the hospitals.
…………..but, but, but, some still argue, “the cops “over-reacted””

Ok guys, where do you “draw the line” ?

If you saw something like this on a silver chain, hanging around someone’s neck (I can’t find the pic that I want….. A nice gold colored one on a gold chain…….. so these 3 chrome ones will have to do)

Would you consider it a cool pendent, or a work of art, or a possible security threat ? Go ahead, argue all you want ‘bout “freedom of artistic expression”, “freedom of speech”, whatever……… but, if you’re stupid enough to walk around wearing something like that in public………don’t be surprised if the cops “over-react”, and don’t bitch about it after the fact.

At the show yesterday, there was a guy selling something very similar to these as belt buckles. I know we wouldn’t consider a chrome pineapple frag as threatening, but many people would.

In this case, irregardless of what you electronic experts think ‘bout just how “innocent” the Radio Shack “stuff” is,
From the link,
Quote ;
She wore the white circuit board on her chest over a black hooded sweat shirt, Pare said at a news conference. The battery-powered rectangular device had nine flashing lights, and Simpson had Play-Doh in her hands, he said.
Now, I have never played with C4 or plastique. But I have been told it is very similar to clay or play-doh. Guys, please correct me if I’m wrong. ….. It’s more then just a couple of flashing LED’s that raised the suspicions.

Around here, some are arguing that the cops were SUPPOSED TO KNOW that there was a career fair at MIT on the day before the incident……..the “logic” (or lack thereof) is, the airport workers should have known. But because they didn’t, the “cops” should be disciplined. That she was proud of what she had made, and she just wanted to show it to her boyfriend.

You know….I think there’s more to this story that we aren’t being told. Who knows, perhaps for some reason or another, she wanted to test airport security. Kinda like (some think) the “flying Imans” were?

Here is an honest question…….. Just where do you draw the line as to just how aggressively should the “cops” react to an “incident” ?
How ‘bout an honest answer:)

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
I haven't seen the first bit of evidence she did this intentionally.

Perhaps that's the disconnect between my thoughts and yours.

In my mind, a stupid college girl went to pick her BF up at the airport.

She pulled on a sweatshirt she wore to the geek-fest the night before - maybe she thought the BF would like it -- irrelevant. She thought nothing of it.

She gets to the airport and is minding her own business, waiting for the BF. Some IQ-negative TSA drone walks up, and asks her what it is -- she says "Art." She still doesn't suspect anything serious is going on.

TSA Drone tells her she has to leave. She probably gives him some lip -- after all, it's just her frigging geek-shirt and she's a stupid college kid -- but good sense prevails, and she leaves. Probably calling her BF to leave a VM on his cell phone, agast at the stupidity of the aforementioned drone.

Meanwhile, said drone is busy, calling in the jack-boots with MP5s.

Jailarity ensues.

This would without doubt explain the "smirk" on her face as she's in the cop-car -- she still thinks this is all insane, perhaps Ashton's about to appear and tell her she's been "punked."

Clearly reality has begun to set in by the time her mugshot is taken -- she's figured out by then that she's in serious trouble.

Now -- in this scenario, who can deny they OVER-BLOODY-REACTED? Stupid kid meant no harm, and should be released scot-free -- she's been taught a valuable lesson, and will probably never carry anything electronic (not even a cell-phone) into an airport for the rest of her life.

If I am wrong, and she was deliberately trying to get a "rise" out of someone, I will admit it, but I go back to my previous point -- this thing looked NOTHING like a bomb, it looked like some middle-schooler's science fair demo.

She's at MIT -- she surely could come up with a more convincing fake bomb if she wanted to.

Sorry -- from where I sit, with all info available to me, I can reach only one conclusion: the JBTs overreacted.

New info may yield different conclusion -- I am waiting...

DD

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
BTW -- I have a different sort of "airport/teenager" story for you:

Kid from a small-town goes to Europe with his "travel team" to play in a soccer tournament. (BTW -- they placed 3rd among european teams -- not bad for 'merkuns!)

Sentimental little idiot saves bits of dirt and grass from every field he played on the trip. Sweden, Denmark, Holland, Etc.

Last stop before home?

Amsterdam -- where he boarded his flight for home.

So he gets back to the good ol' US of A. He's now entering his first trip through customs.

He's nervous just because he's 14 and alone, never been through this before.

Finally, it's his turn.

Customs Agent asks "Do you have anything to declare?"

"Nope."

Customs agent presses him: "Do you have anything in your pockets?"

"Just some Grass" he says...

while pulling several rolled-up plastic bags -- containing green plant matter -- out of his pockets.

Boy had one, final new experience to top off his European trip:

"Cavity Search." :eek:

Mom and I had to drive to go get him afterward.

It's a good thing it was several hours' drive, and they held him long enough after we arrived to start pissing me off, otherwise I would have been in deep trouble with Mom for laughing in front of him. :D

We have a great relationship now, then... well... not so much. Had he seen me laugh, I'm sure the damage would have been irreparable. He's still pretty touchy about it...

OK -- I admit it -- ~8 years later, I laughed out loud remembering this story while typing it... :p

My point is this: Kids are stupid. MIT students are generally more intelligent, but no less stupid.

DD

·
59,988 Posts
the law says they are adults at 18. They think they are adults and will tell you so. So treat them like adults.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
I got curious, so I pulled up the MIT school newspaper. It’s kinda long to post here, so a couple excerpts ;

http://www-tech.mit.edu/V127/N40/simpson.html
MIT Sophomore Arrested at Logan For Wearing LED Device
September 21, 2007
9:36 p.m.

She “said it was a piece of art,” Margolis said, and “refused to answer any more questions.” Jake Wark, spokesperson for the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office, said that Simpson only described the LED lights after she was “repeatedly questioned by the MassPort employee.” Simpson then “roamed briefly around the terminal,” Wark said. Margolis said this caused several Logan employees to flee the building. As Simpson left the building, she disconnected the battery powering the device, according to a press release provided by Wark.

At Simpson’s arraignment earlier today, Margolis asked for a $5,000 cash bail. Margolis said the high bail amount was requested because Simpson had provided an address in Hawaii, not a local address; she had refused to answer questions at the information desk in Logan Airport; and she showed “a total disregard to understand the context of the situation she’s in, which is an airport post-9/11.” Simpson is from Hawaii.

Simpson had five to six ounces of Play-Doh in her hands, State Police Maj. Scott Pare said in a press conference this morning. The Play-Doh could have been mistaken for plastic explosives.

MIT Police Chief John DiFava likewise said that “reckless” was “not a word that’s inappropriate.”

DiFava was the interim public safety director of Logan International Airport for two months immediately following Sept. 11, 2001.

DiFava said that as he was not at the scene and did not want to second-guess the officers that were there.

The possibility of a suicide bomber “requires a significant and serious response,” DiFava said. Machine guns are “standard equipment down at Logan,” said DiFava, adding that machine guns are commonly seen at airports overseas. “There was a female party with a device wired on her body and a glob … a substance that looks like C-4, C-5, or Semtex [plastic explosives]. … To have guns drawn, I don’t have a problem with that.”

“Still,” DiFava continued, “of all places, an airport; of all airports, Logan. … Logan even confiscates water bottles.” The two planes that struck the World Trade Center on Sept. 11 departed from Logan, and American Airlines Flight 63 was diverted to the airport on Dec. 21, 2001 after Richard Reid attempted to blow up the plane using explosives concealed in his shoe. (I had forgotten about him)

An interesting sidelight that isn’t being talked about any more (it did make the local news for about a 30 second spot)……..

Some MIT “kids” were playing with sodium “on” the Charles River, did do a bit of damage to a boat It happened a few days before the airport incident, and MIT committed to pay for the clean up. I don’t know who is paying for the medical expenses of the 5 victims.

http://www-tech.mit.edu/V127/N39/editorial.html
Editorial: Sodium Doesn’t Just Fall From the Sky

Back to the airport incident. We will never know what really happened. In a few days there will probably be a short news article on what her “punishment” is, and then it will all be forgotten.
And anything that the Boston media reports will be either biased or just plain stupid.

I can understand that she was excited to be seeing her boyfriend………..but at the same time, I find it hard to believe that a sophomore, the secretary of the MIT Electronics Research Society, a National Merit Semi Finalist and captain of her high school robotics team could be so naive. (let’s face it, if her home address is in Hawaii she has probably flown through Logan more then once)

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Hey Dudley,

Don't think that remark slipped past me even though most times I don't understand your humour (Limey spelling just for you :D););)

You do have a point, and in my melon tainted with the Lord's gift of dyslexia, a breadboard and printed circuit board (PCB) are not the same deal:eek:

What if the lil MIT Shi'it Disturber had been wearing a set of jumper cables...attached to her earlobes and nipples...would you have assumed she had Semtex stuffed into one of her body orifices:D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.