Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
43,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a furniture store yesterday, inside the floor model gun cabinet was several muzzleloaders and an MN. It was a '36 Tula with an arctic birch stock and wire hangers so I gathered it was Finn capture.

I did not see the standard SA marking, but I did see one that looked very similar but was in Cyrillic written as a circled CA. So despite my 99% sure gut feeling that the Finns never put their SA marking in Cyrillic, I'm wondering if anybody has ever seen or heard of this?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
To my knowledge the Finns never used that mark. A '36 with wire hangers was more than likely a Spanish Civil War rifle and not a Finn'd rifle. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
25,491 Posts
To my knowledge the Finns never used that mark. A '36 with wire hangers was more than likely a Spanish Civil War rifle and not a Finn'd rifle. Hope this helps.
I would agree, except for the arctic birch stock. I wish you had pictures. The artic birch stock would be a Finnish trait, and Spanish hangers would be different than Finnish hangers. Not all Finnish rifles were property stamped with the SA stamp.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
43,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm absolutely positive it was sitting in arctic birch, it was nearly identical to my M39. That's arctic birch isn't it?

im not up o my wire hanger shape, but I didn't study it much, I assumed Finn when I saw the wood and made note of the hangers being there at all. I THINK they were squared off on the corners.

The shop is 40 miles away. Next time I'm through there I'm going to look closer. I didn't offer to buy, it's outside my ever-narrowing list of must haves. Kids and limited funds will do that.

you paying attention, Clay? ;)

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I would agree, except for the arctic birch stock. I wish you had pictures. The artic birch stock would be a Finnish trait, and Spanish hangers would be different than Finnish hangers. Not all Finnish rifles were property stamped with the SA stamp.
+1. I have a Finn 1891 with no SA mark. On closer inspection (I knew even less than I do now) it does have the AV3 marks on its stock, Finn sights, and wire hangers. So, Finn but no SA. I bought it as just a Russian 1891, but clayshooter2 and others here helped me ID it. Now I am going broke getting stable mates for it. So stay away from that furniture store! Even if they give it to you, things might get expensive if you get addicted.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
43,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look for the finger splices on the bottom of the stock next time.
I don't think it had any, but now I'm second guessing myself and can't say for sure either way. But pretty sure it was a solid piece.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
43,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Didn't look like that. The escutcheons were not slotted, they had a round hole in the middle where the hanger screw went through like the Finnish 91 and 91/30s.

I talked to the shop owner about it the day I was there, told him what I thought it was(Finn capture). He claimed he bought it some years ago for only $30.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Let him make a hundred dollar profit, or swap him for a nice 'new" refurbished original Russian one from Big 5....because you are a nice guy. If you don't he's eventually going to throw it in a deal with a couch or a table.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
43,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Other than being Finn capture, it's a run of the mill round reciever 91/30. It's a nice gun, probably a fine shooter. I have enough of those.

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
Didn't look like that. The escutcheons were not slotted, they had a round hole in the middle where the hanger screw went through like the Finnish 91 and 91/30s.

I talked to the shop owner about it the day I was there, told him what I thought it was(Finn capture). He claimed he bought it some years ago for only $30.
See if he'll take a hundred. I'll in turn buy it from you for whatever you charge for a finders fee. lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.