Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I bought another yugo m57, a surplus one. It is of coarse in 7.62. I very stupidly never checked the halfcock on it when doing the transfer at my local gun shop, and found out a month ago that the half cock will fall with the trigger pulled. We all debate on here whether or not the tokarev helfcock notch will hit the hammer with enough force to set off a round....Well, I intend to take it to my family cattle ranch next weekend, and test this on yugo 7.62. Will load the gun with 1 rd, put it on halfcock, and pull the trigger. Having discovered this, I have to say that the hammer doesn't seem to fall very hard, so I have my doubts as to whether or not it will go off.

Might have to pick up another hammer group though......That sucks.....Then again, I never use the halfcock.....

·
Silver Bullet member
34,870 Posts
Tell you what, i have a bunch of primed cases I have no use for. If you want them I'll send them for shipping. Just need to know how I can ship primed cases.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
No need to pick up an entire hammer group. You can get a TT33 hammer from Numrich for $35.00, and disassembling and reassembling the hammer group is a pretty intuitive/simple thing.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appriciate it, but I can do it safely with loaded ammo. I have a good, safe range, and nothing is ingherently dangerous about this as long as I KNOW it can go off. Ha, I PROMISE I won't be pointing it at anyone guys when I do this........I just think I might help put this argument to rest. Might even film the experiement and put it on youtube if possible. This would replicate a halfcock notch failing, or the idea of a halfcock notch failing after being dropped, pretty well. So its worth doing. I am keeping the tok, as its in decent shape and will be a shooter, and I don't use the halfcock anyway.

Just an interesting way of testing an issue. I will check back in with pics and hopefully a vid by next sunday.....

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
This is a good idea but I would use commercial ammo with soft primers.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, problem with THAT is I have no commercial. I might look around, and try to find some before I go up. But all I currently have is corrosive.

I might have to look deeper at the hammer group to see if maybe I can fix it. Is the notch heat treated?

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Is the notch heat treated?
Pretty much all sear surfaces get case hardened, and the hammer notch is RIGHT THERE, next to it! I bet you are going to have a bit of fun trying to grind on it. Once you get through the case hardening, you will be into a whole other can of worms.

It amazes me that somebody would pay hundreds of dollars to buy a gun, but will spend little or nothing to maintain it. Personally, I don't believe I could in good conscience sell a gun that is unsafe to somebody else unless I informed him EXACTLY what was wrong with it.

That $35 price was just a quick look-up to determine if the part was available. It is entirely possible that you could find hammers for less elsewhere.

When I bought my first Tokarev, the first thing I did was find and buy an entire spare drop-in hammer group, and I have found and used successfully a cheap, readily available, substitute for the oft-broken sear return spring. As far as Toks go, I am good for about anything that actually breaks for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whoa whoa whoa....I am not selling it. And I HAVE sold a yugo m57 that the safety did not work on on this board, and I CLEARLY advised of that in the sale. Don't think you are saying that to me, but I wanted to clarify. I also only took ownership of it. I haven't even fired it yet. Otherwise, its your typical used tokarev.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I honestly am leaning more towards just getting a new hammer group for 35 bucks. Really, if shtf, and I break another, at least I know the current one will WORK, so it wouldn't be that bad of a backup.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you test this once, and it doesn't go off.............you really haven't proved much. You would have to try it multiple times with each different ammo maker's product to get a statistically sound result.

Even then, you would only be able to conclude that dropping the hammer from half-cock "probably" won't fire the cartridge.

The possible liability, to me at least, outweighs the cost to repair the pistol properly.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Understand that I AM going to repair it. I just intend to test this in the safest way possible to see if my theory holds true. And, I believe I may be able to pick up some commercial 7.62 x25 by the weekend. I have never believed that it would set it off......As such, the hammer is held in place on the notch, its just worn to the point that a trigger pull drops it. No harm in testing it. The nice thing about this situation is that no one has to damage or destroy a tokarev or part to test this issue. I intend to film this with a camera, upload it to youtube, and post the link here. I have no intention of keeping it as is.....But I will keep the worn hammer group for a spare. Again, it will fire the pistol, and if shtf and I need a spare, I'll have one.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just tested it today, will upload a youtube vid tonight.....but it never went off. Tried romanian and s &b ammo....juat left really light primer strikes.....have pics off the ammo and footage of all testing. Made about 6 to 7 attempts with each rd, then would eject the rd and look at it.....so, its safe to say that a halfcock notch failure would not lite off a rd.....at least in my book.....i am in kansas city now, won't be home to post until tonight, but stay tuned.....

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A friend who filmed me is supposed to email it to me soon, and I have not gotten it yet. I can tell you that it seemed like the primers would have light hits, and that repeated hits did not make them worse. I will continue to experiement with this tok, as I want to try a few more things with it before I fix it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts