Discussion Starter #1
Stripper clip use in the 49/56 ??
Author Topic
DeanSchmidt
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
131 Posts
Posted - 05/11/2007 : 7:20:30 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys

I have been trying to figure out the trick to using stripper clips in the 49/56. When I try the rds bind up and dont load the mag properly. I use the same strippers in my 36 and 36/51 and they work great. any ideas??

Thanks !

Dean

vonmazur

USA
1762 Posts
Posted - 05/12/2007 : 12:38:07 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean: According to the training I got in BCT at Ft Dix....put the thumb close to the clip and push down....the M 14 loads the same way as the the French Semi Autos. I suspect that one has to get as close as possible to the rear of the round, right up on the face of the clip...

Dale

DeanSchmidt
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
131 Posts
Posted - 05/12/2007 : 10:43:22 PM

Ater some practice I have discovered that putting my index finger next to the rds as I press with my thumb seems to help keep them from binding. Still not easy but at least I can get the rds into the mag. Thanks for the suggestion Vonmazur keepimg my thumb all the way back does seem to help some.

Coogan
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
2532 Posts
Posted - 05/14/2007 : 10:27:37 AM

Loading the M14 via stripper is FAR easier than the 49/56.

With the 49/56 and the feed lip set up of the mag it is quite frustrating!

DeanSchmidt
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
131 Posts
Posted - 05/15/2007 : 12:58:16 AM

I am begining to think that just carrying a lot of extra loaded mags may be the answer. Fortunatley they seem to available and reasonably priced.

kelt

France
2315 Posts
Posted - 05/15/2007 : 07:11:11 AM

It was standard practice in the French army to load the mags from the rifle using the stripper clips, I used to do it on the walk, in the dark.

The compact design of the APX L 806 scope was governed by two factors, shooter's eye relief and access for stripper clips, and that is also why there is no sun shade on the scopes dedicated to the Mas 49 & 49-56.

I use stripper clips on a variety of rifles and it all work the same way as on the Mas, providing that the correct clip design is used and I cannot begin to understand why some of you find it difficult, it's got to be a strong push with the thumb located close or in contact with the stripper clip, last cartridge of the batch may not be fully locked in by the front lip and a quick finger check get it sorted.

kelt

Coogan

USA
2532 Posts
Posted - 05/16/2007 : 06:07:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kelt

.....last cartridge of the batch may not be fully locked in by the front lip and a quick finger check get it sorted.

kelt

That's just it, this does not happen with the M14.

kelt

France
2315 Posts
Posted - 05/16/2007 : 06:50:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Coogan

quote:
Originally posted by kelt

.....last cartridge of the batch may not be fully locked in by the front lip and a quick finger check get it sorted.

kelt

That's just it, this does not happen with the M14.

It doesn't happen often and can be avoided by sliding the thumb ahead when pushing down the last cartridge, and if it does happen reloading speed is not affected, as that cartridge will feed just as well when the bolt is released.

kelt

Coogan

USA
2532 Posts
Posted - 05/16/2007 : 6:31:46 PM

It seems like there is a slight learning curve - ala SKS stripper clips. When I first got my SKS back in 1992 I had a hell of a time using the Chinese strippers. Now I can load an SKS with a stripper without even thinking about it.

Practice makes perfect!

DeanSchmidt
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
131 Posts
Posted - 06/03/2007 : 7:46:38 PM

Speaking of the M14. I tried using the M14 combo tool which has an indentation in the end to facilitate stripper clip use in the M14 on the 49/56. It really seems to help. If the rds twist while loading I just twist on the tool in the proper direction and the rd feeds. Just an FYI.

Best !

Dean

Dave Baird
Gunboards Premium Member

206 Posts
Posted - 06/03/2007 : 8:21:05 PM

I have a 49/56 on the way. Does anyone know where I can find a dozen or so stripper clips? TY Dave

Colin
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
708 Posts
Posted - 06/30/2007 : 5:14:15 PM

Make sure you have the proper clip. It will be stamped 7.5 on the back. Those stamped 7.62 are for the 30-06 to be used with 1917 Enfields we gave France. The 7.62 clips are a little tight with 7.5 cases.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts