Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok other thread got locked. This is strictly informational and pictures for people interested in WWI 1911's. Both Examples are Colt Built 1911's from 1918. Sorry If I bent the rules on the other post, wasn't trying to. Was just giving people background as to what was going on, and why. If anyone is intrested i will post examples of the WWI 1911's as they come available and post pictures in this forum. If you want me to. If not I won't take the time to do it. I have plenty of other things to get done being that I just opened my own clinic and have a 2 month old baby in the house.

I tried to only include pictures of markings. The final inspection mark is a s12 under the eagle head, barrel is a h and p stamped perpendicular to the barrel bore but nothing else stamped on it. This example has lanyard rings on the magazine and heel of the gun. The magazine is solid in color and not two-tone. Hope everyone likes the pictures.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,478 Posts
Thank you for your understanding aeroc.

Best of luck with your research.

Warmest regards,

John

·
Silver Bullet member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here is another pistol from 1918:

almost 100 % Blue, can't believe it is over 90 years old..lovely. So far all the 1918 built colts I have seen have had the colt emblem between the two blocks of lettering, this one is behind the slide serrations and the front hooves are missing! Thought that was interesting, how rare would you guys think that is?

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another 1911

Ok Colt #3 on this post. This one has more muzzle wear from holster use, and is a really nice example of 1918 production of the 1911. It also has the GSH monogram of Major Gilbert H. Stewart who was an ordinance inspector that accepted this 1911 into service.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
Now you did it! You remembered me of the 1918 Colt '( my dad gave me at the age of 13). Stolen in 1997 and probably in Romania somewhere, thanks to some political idiots that can't secure their frontiers.
I don't blame you aeroc, but it was my best Colt 45 I ever had ... better as the Gold Cup I have now! Please, may everyone forgive my bluntness.

·
Copper Bullet member
599 Posts
Very interesting early features. Thanks for showing them!

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
I am holding for a Friend ( a Colt Collector), whilst he gets his PTA, a 1918 Colt M1911; the Serials are stamped Part "rolled" and Part hand stamped ( two digits out of Five) and not the last two digits either...it seems that the complete serial stamp had broken down, and the missing digits ( 3rd and 5th) were hand stamped ( slightly different font, deeper stamped); it came thru AAA Auctions (Melbourne) with a date-matching leather Holster, still with its tie down lace "plaited" in a square plait.

Can't show a photo, but has anybody come across this serial stamping anomaly?

The Gun shows some "Holster Wear" but otherwise in VG-Excellent condition ( my friend is a stickler on condition, especially on early Colts ( Revolvers ( both C&B, and Cartridge) and of course , Pre & WW I Autos.).
The Gun supposedly was "souvenired" during WW II here in Aus....and hardly used (if at all)...a lot of wartime souvenirs here were never registered or licensed, only coming "on board" when a deceased estate has sold them at Auction or delivered them to a Dealer. ( up to 70 years after being "souvenired")...some WW I C96s and Lugers are still turning up, with NO papers at all...that's almost 100 years of being "on the lam" ( Pistol licensing started in Australian states in the 1920s...).

So much for "Gun Control!!!!

regards,
Doc AV

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.