Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came across a supply of Spanish 9mm Para ammo, brass cases, Berdan primed with the following headstamp:

9-P 91 SB-T

But the bullet has a really weird shape and weighs 148.9 gr. and I looks like it's plated not jacketed. They're in the normal Santa Barbara 25 rd. box and it's marked "Bala con Mablan."

Can anyone shed light on this?

·
Copper Bullet member
9,579 Posts
Mablan experimental sub-sonic ammo. Can also be found with a brass plated bullet. Word is that 100,000(+-) were made but rejected by the Spanish military. They used to be a rare and valuable round, 'til someone at the SB warehouse stuck them on a pallet of surplus 9mm ball sold to an American importer. I'm guessing it will not cycle well in most auto-pistols.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Jon:

Do you have any idea what purpose they were intended for?

I wonder just how "rare" they are as I have 150 rds. of the stuff?

·
Copper Bullet member
9,579 Posts
Sub-sonic.
Not anymore.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got back from the range where I tried shooting this stange Spanish 9mm out of my Springfield M1911-A1, S&W M&P and my friend's XD. About every 3rd round would hang up on the front edge of the magazine or the feed ramp and that flat point on the bullets deformed very easily. Those rounds that did chamber went "bang" and shot to point of aim.

I haven't tried it in my Glock 17 yet but if it won't function in Gaston's "Perfection" the rest of the ammo is heading for the trash bin!

·
Copper Bullet member
9,579 Posts
"I'm guessing it will not cycle well in most auto-pistols."

That's what I told you. I wouldn't toss it. It still has some value as a collectible, especially if it's still in the boxes.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It won't function in my Glock 17 either. That means it is really crummy ammo! Oh well, I'll try and unload it on some collector friends of mine?

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
It won't function in my Glock 17 either. That means it is really crummy ammo! Oh well, I'll try and unload it on some collector friends of mine?
let me know how much you want for it.
thanks,
lee

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lee- I'm going to keep it for curiosity's sake and to try in some other handguns down the road.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Those Unlubed lead bullets always left a "ring" of lead fouling in the front of the pistols chamber when I shot more than a couple rounds. May have worked in a open bolt Subgun as they have a lot of oomph with that big, heavy bolt.

Got rid of all of mine and bought the much better Semi Blindado Santa Barbara 9mm...one of my favorites!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Jon:

Do you have any idea what purpose they were intended for?

I wonder just how "rare" they are as I have 150 rds. of the stuff?
The only reason I could see for a subsonic 9mm round would be for suppressed pistol or SMG with their respective springs adjusted for the lower powered round. Why would anyone expect subsonic 9x19 to function perfectly in arms designed for the full flavored 9x19 ?.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
The only reason I could see for a subsonic 9mm round would be for suppressed pistol or SMG with their respective springs adjusted for the lower powered round. Why would anyone expect subsonic 9x19 to function perfectly in arms designed for the full flavored 9x19 ?.
Subsonic 9mm if done properly does not require adjusted springs in most cases.. The vast majority of subsonic 9mm is loaded with a HEAVIER than standard bullet (140 to 158gr). The heavier bullet is loaded to STANDARD pressure levels but has a lower than standard Muzzle velocity (subsonic!). Pressure levels / Slide or bolt velocity levels are thus suitable for proper weapon function.

If you try to make a subsonic 115 or 124gr 9mm load....you run into function trouble of course! The Spanish Mablan round had quite a heavy bullet (+-150gr).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts