Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
Vic and I have ran the gamut trying to figure this one out. Our default consensus is that it could be a reproduction stamping but we have no evidence as of yet. However, it is the same as a cartouche that the AVS-36 used in the 1930s, Vic found that in an old book. Notice that the hammer and sickle has no wreath around it but the stock is a wartime one referencing the type of escutcheon used. Those two ideas conflict with each other since one can find Izhevsk cartouches pre-war that have the wreath inside the circle.
The stamping appears to have been double struck, which is common, and looking at it with a magnifying glass I can't see any evidence of a different cartouche behind it that may have been sanded for example. Besides, going with what I know I have never heard of anyone even doing reproduction cartouches. We all would certainly like to know if that's the case of course.
Any ideas or evidence on your part?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Not sure what to make of it. The "C"'s are more round & more "full" and have thinner lines than any I am used to seeing...also non-serifed. Looks "non-reg" to me. Often fakes are re-stamped over a weak original or they are double-struck because the novice "proofer" has no experience in the process and either striles the stencil too weak on the first time or pounds it in way too hard. Maybe a Mosin mystery until more show up. DDR

·
Gold Bullet member
1,539 Posts
Its a nice looking stamp as most of mine are either too light or worn down. Still, it doesn't seem right to me either. The one well stamped cartouche that I have has thicker lines and letters.

As for different cartouches at different dates, my two faint cartouches are on 1930's finn capture 91/30's. The better cartouche I have is on a correct M38 stock with wartime expediency sling slots. The rifle is a 1943 so its possible the stock is original to the rifle.

T

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a nice looking stamp as most of mine are either too light or worn down. Still, it doesn't seem right to me either. The one well stamped cartouche that I have has thicker lines and letters.

As for different cartouches at different dates, my two faint cartouches are on 1930's finn capture 91/30's. The better cartouche I have is on a correct M38 stock with wartime expediency sling slots. The rifle is a 1943 so its possible the stock is original to the rifle.

T
Do yours have the wreath in the circle though?
Dave

·
Administrator
19,287 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,539 Posts
"Do yours have the wreath in the circle though?"

Yes, it looks very much like the one Vic just posted.

T

1 - 7 of 7 Posts