Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a M1907/15-M16 long rifle which came with a M1886/15 bayonet.
https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=4840&aid=76761&lid=19083326&rfpb=0#Top

Neither the bayonet nor scabbard show any markings other than a large S on both sides of the crossguard. There are no other markings. Maybe it is a M1886 with quillon removed and markings were on the removed part. The bottom of the crossguard looks a bit rough. The S could be the company that modified it but it is strange both sides were marked. Maybe the second S was stamped because the first one was too close to the edge.

Does anyone know what the S means? I asked AndyB and he said to ask Patrick.

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

·
15,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Patrick. All of that is fantastic but it does not tell me what my S marking means. Thanks to your info, I now suspect it is a Remington made bayonet because it has no other markings. Perhaps the S marking indicates it was one of the few which made it to France.

Regards,
Bill

·
15,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Bill, as mentioned by Patrick the Remington could be real, You should compare it with normal french M1886/15, anyway the S could be a depot or inventar stamp.best regards,Andy
Hi Andy,

I feel sure it is a Remington since it has no markings other than the S. Possibly the S marking indicates that it did go to France. You would expect the S to be on one side only but one S on mine being over the edge might have called for a second S to be stamped.

My only other bayonet of this kind is a M1886 with quillon on my Lebel rifle. Both are full length.

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.