Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sponsor
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a strange one for you guys, even by Finn standards. I have an M-28 that has the English contract stamp on it. Nothing strange about that, except that it's on the left side of the buttstock instead of the right. I have never before seen the stamp on the left side, only on the right.

I'm also thrilled that it has a Viipuri Civil Guard district number on it.

The last strange thing about this one is the fact that it has the NK in a circle stamp on the buttstock. Again, nothing strange about this as many refurbs have this, except this is on a Finn rifle. Perhaps this was one of those that got lost to the Russians and then imported some time ago into the States? I always believed that the NK in a circle was a communist satellite country refurb mark.

Regards,
Eric

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
The nk is a prook commission marking used on the English contracted stocks. The rifle sounds like it has a cut down 91 stock as it should have or if spliced a rear section of the 91 used. Its not sounding odd at all.

·
Super Moderator
3,371 Posts
Judging by the NEW's I've owned and seen, the English Contract stamp has always been on the left and the NK is on the right side. I believe the NK is a final inspection stamp.

·
Sponsor
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, Vic is correct, it's a cut down M-91 one piece stock. I looked all over Ted's site but didn't find the NK stamp, so I figured (improperly) that it was only a refurb stamp. From what I have always seen, stock cartouches for the Mosins have always been on the right side of the butt, not the left. Mike O's observations of course lead me to understand that this is simply not so. At least it's a Sako, of that I'm 100% positive.

Regards,
Eric

·
Super Moderator
3,371 Posts
Russian stock cartouches as well as Remingtons, have the stamp on the right side. NEW decided to stamp it on the left for some reason.

·
Sponsor
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Russian stock cartouches as well as Remingtons, have the stamp on the right side. NEW decided to stamp it on the left for some reason.
Thank you for the clarification. As with all things Finn, there is a lot to learn.

Regards,
Eric

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Russian made stocks have the cartouche on the right, American made on the left and the Russian proof acceptence marking on the right.

·
Super Moderator
3,371 Posts
Hmm, I have three Rem marked stocks and they're all stamped on the right side. Never seen one on the left other than NEW's. Although it's not like I've seen all that many of them.

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
DEpends on which way we are looking at the rifle-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts