Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello: I posted on another militaria forum regarding this strange training bayonet. Still trying to find out more about it. I was hoping to find out what language the characters or letters (not Japanese) on one of the wood grips are and what they translate into. They appear to have been burned into the grip. I have attached pictures where I rotated the grips into vertical and horizontal positions. It was suggested that the language is Arabic. But I checked on line and could not identify the characters as Arabic. There do appear to be diacritical markings in the grip. I also checked the Thai language and could not make that identification either.

Also, note the odd hanger that has been attached to the frog. My first impression was that it could have been put there by a U.S. GI or post war by "bubba". I checked Labar's book and could not find a similar frog.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
From the writing type, I believe it's Japanese Kanji, these used traditional ways to write, not Arabic and Thai. But I think these are not complete Japanese Kanji, these are parts of Kanji word like 干 艹 屮 彳 巛 川 辶 寸 大 飞彑 工 弓 廾 广 己 彐 巾 口 马 门 宀 女 犭 山 彡 尸 饣 士 扌 氵 纟 巳 土 囗 兀 夕 小 忄 幺 弋 尢 夂 子, they are not complete words and most of them as no meaning. I think the soldier who made this wants to hide some information which just only he can understand.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
In my opinion the branding was done too close to the rounded edge of handle and came out distorted. As for frog it’s similar to post war Korean modification with U.S. style belt hooks

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my opinion the branding was done too close to the rounded edge of handle and came out distorted. As for frog it’s similar to post war Korean modification with U.S. style belt hooks
Thanks Jareth. I am familiar with the Korean modification, as shown on LB-300 and LB-301. So the Japanese leather frog with the added canvas hanger could be a variant? Interesting that it would end up on a trainer, although scabbards could of course be switched out at any time.

Sure would like to know what the characters can be translated to. And if they got added post-war.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
As Jareth said it is branded kanji on the grips. But due to the curvature of the grip coupled what looks like heavy handed cleaning it's now pretty illegible. The fog modification is postwar stateside in my opinion. Nothing about it looks wartime.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
As Jareth said it is branded kanji on the grips. But due to the curvature of the grip coupled what looks like heavy handed cleaning it's now pretty illegible. The fog modification is postwar stateside in my opinion. Nothing about it looks wartime.
I dont read japanes or chinese. But to my eye it looks nice and sharp right to the edge. I suspect it is all there. No idea, obviously what it is, but it looks complete. Maybe complete Jibberish?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts