Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello
todays scrapyard find.strange hooked mauser bayonet.i've seen before similiar hooked 98/05 bayonet the seller claimed then that this is an entanglements modification i didn't belive him then.but maybe he was right?if this is a standard pigsy killler or sickle sorry for taking Your time.
best regards

Attachments

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I suspect that it is a sickle because of the narrowing of the blade tip and the sharpening inside the hook. Also the fact that the latch has been removed so it wouldn't irritate the palm of the hand. It's a neat sort of "Swords into Plowshares" type artifact.
Dan in Texas

·
Registered
139 Posts
Interesting, I have a very similar modification, made from a Turkish Mauser M90 bayonet. However, mine has the press stud and upper part of the crosspiece intact, so it can still be attached to a rifle. Acqaintances of mine also believe, that it was converted into an agricultural tool, a type of hand cickle, but I still have reservations about that, why keep the crosspiece or press stud? Most of the former bayonets, turned into utility tools have had these features ground/sawed off, either altogether or one or the other.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
The only other reason I think of for this modification would be that it was made to be use as a mortuary bayonet. Those were a tool fastened to the end of the rifle or musket to drag bodies to a collection point for burial or cremation. That's one of the details you didn't want to be on after a particularly bad battle. The earliest example of this that I've seen was a British Brown Bess bayonet heated in a campfire and curved into a hook. Fixed to the end of a musket, it was used to drag the bodies of executed Texas colonists to three different funeral pyres at La Bahia (Goliad,Texas) on Palm Sunday 1836. I suspect the practice was still in use during The Great War 1914-1918. I believe I've seen an Austrian M95 bayonet modified this way also. However, having said that, value shouldn't be very high because you don't know if it done during the period of use or if some "Vest Pocket" dealer has read this and gone out and modified a junker to gouge some unsuspecting buyer with.
Dan in Texas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.