Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple years ago I acquired a Schmidt-Rubin 1889 straight pull with the locking lugs on the bolt at the rear. At the time I was looking for ammo safe to shoot in it and to not use anythin other than the GP90 in surplus ammo or get some from a dealer that made new ammo to the specs for the 1889. Somew3here in this mad pile of papers, I missed place the info about ammunition.,

My other question lies in identifying another rifle. A freiend of mine recently acquired a straight pull the seller told him was a K1. It has the bolt's locking lugs at the rear, something I remember being told that that design was only used on the 1889s. The serial numb er of the rifle is 290746. Well into the serial number range of the 1896/11 rifles. It has a full length barrel and while I did not give it a real thorough going over, it does not appear to have been altered.

Did the 1896/11 rifles still have the locking lugs on the rear of the bolt? Is the ammo you should stay away from the same as for my 1889?

Any and all help with answering these questions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will need to determine if you have a 1896 or a 1896/11 that was converted to handle the modern cartridge.

This link can help you figure out your situation. Schmidt-Rubin Series

That serial number does point to an 1896/11 from 1902. swisswaffen.com: swisswaffen.com: Information for Rifle Serial Number 290746

K
Thanks Kaylee! This information really helped! It looks like the only piece of information I am missing is something that says do not use GP11 (?) in the rifles prior to the K11/K31

·
Registered
655 Posts
Only 1889's have the locking lugs on the rear.

1896's already have the new bolt with front lugs.

Either the number has been read wrong and its a rifle in the 2x'xxx range (and therefore a 1889) or it's a 96/11 with the lugs in front.

Rifles before K11 and IG11 had the old ammunition. The bolt will hold the pressure of GP11, but the chambers and barrels are not designed for this cartridge.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If it's a 96/11, rifling is 4-groove. Original 1896 is 3-groove. 96/11's are safe with same ammo as K11 and IG11 (because they were arsenal-modified, including new barrels, to use GP11).
Did the 1896/11 rifles still have the locking lugs on the rear of the bolt?
Actually, the difference from 89 to 96 is that the 1896 (and 1911) lugs are on the front of the locking sleeve - which puts them mid-way on the complete bolt assembly and might be described as "rear" by someone new to Swiss arms.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Swisswaffen and Parashooter..... Big very BIG Thank You for this information. I know have enough info to give to me friend so he don't hurt himself or others using the wrong ammunitiion!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.