Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking out the latest flyer and noticed Straight bolt K98s for sale. Listed as captured but no mention of country of origin or rework. Does anyone know if these are Czech, Yugo or Russian etc? I thought all the K98s had bent bolts.

·
Super Moderator
9,261 Posts
Straight Bolt Kar98k

Two possible sources: Russian captures using Polish or Czech or even Gew98 Bolts during refurbish, or otherwise Turkish post-1944 rebuilds of Interned Kar98k...the Turk rifles are distinguished by the addition of a under butt sling swivel, and the cutting off of the side sling bar on the Band, and welding a new sling loop underneath. Condition of Turkish converted Kar98k is fair to good, and occasionally the turned down Kar Bolt has been "Straightened" ( I have several WW II German bolts(WaA marked) straigthened, but fitted to Long Rifles.).

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I saw one of the straight bolts on the History Channel when they were doing a documentary on WWII in Russia. The K98 Stock could clearly be seen to have the cut out for the original turned down bolt handle but it had a straight bolt handle in it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A buddy of mine thinks they are most likely RCs too. The flyer was from SOG and I wish their descriptions were just a little more detail oriented. Since these haven't been issued for sale (at least in my short memory), maybe this is a cleanout sale to make room for something better soon to be incoming. I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got one from classic arms at a gun show a few months ago and i believe it has Czech markings on the bolt but it's a CE 1940 and a Russian capture. I believe they came form century arms. The bolt was EP'd and didnt match. I checked headspace and it was a little tight but shot fine.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,911 Posts
The place i got my K98 had a few straight-bolt ones. All their K98s were russian rebuilds and they claimed that the germans had begun making straight bolt rifles in the later days of the war because they were easier to manufacture. Now, these people usually have no idea what they are talking about but "easier to manufacture" seems to be the summary of WWII weapons history. I'd think the idea of GEW98 mix and match is also plausible.

·
Registered
253 Posts
During the cold war years the Soviets refinished thousands of 98K Mausers, some were fitted witha a straight handle bolt. This bolt is the same as a turned down bolt, and the rifle will fire normally. The Soviets were just interested in servicable rifles, and nothing to do with collectors preferences.
All these rifles were captured and the Germans uesed what ever that would fire 7,92X57mm cartridge, again the German Army was NOT interested in collector preferences. Late in the war they were loosing it so they used what ever they could find.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts