Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a decent 38 rifle a few years back at a gun show. While I was cleaning it, I took off the butt plate and found a hole and a WWII vintage 6.5 round inside. The round was corroded but after cleanup I saw it had the 3 spokes around the primer. The hole itself looked like it had been bored out with a bayonet. I'm thinking this guy was storing his last bullet. Has anyone else found anything like this with their Japanese rifles?

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Haven't heard of that before! My guess was that some GI may have done that to get some ammo home with his rifle... but that's a WAG on my part.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does have a full mum. This rifle has seen battle and harsh conditions judging by the bore and the stock. Our guys may have saved him the trouble of using that last round.

·
Registered
477 Posts
That is quite interesting. Can you show any pics of it? Sure is a new one, but had to be a surprise to see that old cartridge hidden in there!

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Does the bullet rattle around in the stock?
I just don't want to go on a wild goose chase and check all my rifles! ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bullet doesn't rattle. The wood inside the hole was soft and crumbly where moisture worked its way in and did some damage to both the stock and the bullet. I'm sure I could get it to rattle now that I've cleaned most of the dry rot out. It just seemed like something a bored troop might do to insure he had a last round for whatever reason. Having been a GI myself, I'm thinking I could have come up with easier ways to smuggle one round than screwing up a perfectly good souvenir. But, who knows? I've always taken my rifles apart and never seen anything else like this before and was wondering if anyone else had.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot to mention; I'll try and post pics as soon as I figure out how. I've never been a shutterbug but I guess now I've got a reason.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,011 Posts
While I have not heard of extra cartriges, I have heard of extra parts stored in a hole under the buttplate. The Soviet SVT40 has such holes pre-drilled. French needle guns are known for the occassional extra firing pins under the plate.

As for a Japanese rifle, I would think that a Japanese rifleman would get in alot of trouble for making an unauthorized modification to his rifle. And the Japanese tended to be harsh with their men. Also, the last round, would be rather hard to get at under the buttplate, why would the man not keep his "last round" in his pocket?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts