Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think it is ok to store a couple of 20lb bags of white rice in their original bags in a 40mm can, to keep the bugs out?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I would make sure that you clean that cans really really well. All of the cans I've handled seem to have some residue or aura from the military days still lingering inside them.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Gotta echo Frank46.. Store food in food grade containers.. unless you like the taste of lead, cosmoline, powder..etc.. 5 Gal buckets, mylar bags, 02 absorbers, and impulse sealer... See youtube for a bunch of instruction of "how to's"...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Very funny. "Food Grade Containers/Buckets". I sold these for a living for many years. The only "food grade" aspect was the fact that they weren't made from recycled plastic, or that they contained carbon black ( which was used primarily to hide the variety of scrap colors - and was not FDA/USDA sanctioned because of the nature of carbon black- being a partially unburnt hydrocarbon) They could have rat droppings and dead cockroaches in them when they left the plant - but they were still "food grade". Any white pail that is unused should be fine. Just wash it.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,427 Posts
Any plastic bucket will keep any new bugs out. The problem is that there are bugs or bug eggs already in the rice. That is why you need to use oxygen absorbers or CO2 to remove the oxygen. That way when the bugs hatch they soon die before they can do too much damage.

Your 2 big enemies in storing grains are mold and bugs. By drying my grains at a low temp @ 180*F for several hours in shallow pans in the oven I prevent any chance of mold. By using dry ice to drive out the O2, I kill any bugs that my hatch.

It is a system that has worked for me.

And Yes. I always thoroughly wash and dry my buckets before I use them.

·
Diamond Member
13,103 Posts
Canning, drying, putting food up in mylar and buckets, salting food down.. doesn't matter, you probably want to do it using proper technique and best practices, and only after you fully understand the processes why's and wherefore's of what you are trying to preserve and what you are trying to prevent.

Presumably the food you put up against a shtf situation will be used to keep you and your loved ones alive and healthy.. IMHO this is not where you want to take short cuts or proceed without understanding what you are doing and why.

·
Silver Bullet member
6,214 Posts
Gotta echo Frank46.. Store food in food grade containers.. unless you like the taste of lead, cosmoline, powder..etc.. 5 Gal buckets, mylar bags, 02 absorbers, and impulse sealer... See youtube for a bunch of instruction of "how to's"...
This is what I did. Should keep for 40+ years, and the lack of oxygen caused by the absorbers kills all vermin.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Yep, food-grade buckets with gamma-seal lids are the only way to go! Got my buckets from HomeDepot.com (free delivery!) and my gamma lids from Freckleface.com! Both were the cheapest I found.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts