1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two interesting tests and articles:

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

Usually it's a light wipe of CLP and into a Bore Store, safe with a Golden Rod dehumidifer and some silica bags/cans up front. Never a problem and I'm in a high humidity environment. Best bet is to have a proper HVAC system with constant temp and humidity. I can't say enough good about Bore Stores. I've also taken to Ballistol. It's cheap, about $6 for 16 oz. of the stuff, was the original stuff the Germans used, is nontoxic, not harmful to wood, doesn't stain, and seems to work great. While I think CLP is better, I'm not leaving my gear out in the backyard, so I think Ballistol is fine, and it's like reenacting ;)

·
Registered
412 Posts

I think this should be a sticky. Too many people improperly care for their stuff. Heck I even learned about these "bore stores." They were not on the market when I owned my shooting range.

If we can save just one gun from rusting......

·
Silver Bullet member
347 Posts
caring for rifles

Just what is a "bore store"? I live in Western Pa. and I haven't seen
anything by that name in this area.
Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
check out the links provided, complete description, links to purchase. I get mine from Brownells, they have everything and are top notch.

·
Silver Bullet member
347 Posts
firearms protection

Just what are "bore stores"? I live in Western Pa. and I have
never seen anything like that advertised.
Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks,
Bob
Again, as I responded, the first link I provided has a description of what they are, links to the company website, and Brownells. It's tougher to retype a full description of what Bore Stores are, than if you just take the time to click on the first link and scroll down and read, it has pictures, etc. That is why I provided the link. It takes about 30 seconds. This is the first link in my first post, which is five posts above this one :

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NP Bob, Bore Stores can tell you and show you more than I can ;) I just know they work and over the years I've bought them and transferred my rifles out of those cheap gun show non breathing moisture retention cases into these.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Thanks,
Bob
LOL! I just PM'd Pisgah and asked him the same thing!...even more funny because Im in SWPA!

Thanks for the info on this stuff Ham and Eric, I keep my guns in standard gun socks (the thicker padded type) with a bag of silica gel in the safe and a dehumidifier running

I take them out once in a blue moon and hit the bores and metal with a light coat of breakfree

Im very nervous about putting my rifles in any thing impregnated with anything for fear of damaging the wood in even the slightest way...I think Im going to have to get some bore stores, esp if you guys can attest to long term use with no ill affects on wood

·
Diamond member
1,630 Posts
I've been using them for 10+ years and have never noticed them harming/changing the appearance of my firearms in any way. With few exceptions my collection seems to be doing pretty well in storage. I wish that I could get away with silica packs and a dehumidifier. Space is my biggest current issue.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Good stuff there, Ham. I have been using Eezox lately with good results. Haven't tried the Ballistol yet but I'll get around to it one of these days.

In one of my safes I have used a goldenrod and Breakfree with good results. In another, Bullfrog rust preventer and Breakfree and Eezox, also with good results. Always looking for new tricks though.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to hear from you Clyde. I do as you do as well, though I've never tried Eezox. All indications are it's pretty much the best. All in all probably CLP for price/performance. At one time I was not a big Ballistol fan, preferring CLP. Then, I started using Ballistol more and became quite a fan. I use it pretty much exclusively on everything, particularly my MP40 and K98k that I shoot alot of corrosive ammunition in. It's probably not as good as CLP or certainly Eezox, but it's been plenty good enough and I like the fact that it won't harm wood or leather, and of course, you can eat it ;)

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well WC, some of this stuff has not at all been treated as gingerly as we do, and it looks OK after 60+ years. So, if you've got popcorn fart air and stored it in same with static conditions and cleaned the bore conservatively after corrosive ammo, I'd bet if you did nothing we'd all be long dead and probably our children as well, and the rifle would look about the same. We over clean and over lube. More rifles have been damaged by over-judicious "conservation" than doing nothing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts