Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have always enjoyed shooting my mausers but am not an expert on the rifles or the ammunition.

I have a Kar98k, a Zastava sporter, and a 98/22 I shoot occasionally.

Recently I've seen a batch of Turkish ammo on bandos, yugoslavian 8mm, and Romanian brass ammo all for around 60 cents per round.

I'm inclined to buy the turkish stuff because I've shot it before. Any thoughts on what is commonly available?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At $0.60 a round there's always the argument to buy PPU brass cased stuff when you find it and then just reload. PPU has always shot well for me, plus you get the benefit of non-corrosive which for your k98 can be beneficial. Comparing PPU to turkish, PPU is definitely $0.40 better.
PPU doesn't seem to exist anywhere right now, and I haven't seen it less than $1.00 per shot in about 2 years.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At $0.60 a round there's always the argument to buy PPU brass cased stuff when you find it and then just reload. PPU has always shot well for me, plus you get the benefit of non-corrosive which for your k98 can be beneficial. Comparing PPU to turkish, PPU is definitely $0.40 better.
Sorry, misread your post in my first response.

I agree buying PPU is a good option, but it looks like the factory just hasn't turned any out recently.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1950's Yugo heavy ball is 70 cents a round now.

Bought some when it was $0.10/round in '05.

It's corrosive, shoots way above POA in a K98k at 100m, and doesn't group particularly well.

But it does go bang.

It's not "stock up" ammo for me but YMMV.
I'm still leaning toward the Turkish. I'm seeing a variety of Yugo but only the 50s stuff not the 70s.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Any of those you listed are better than no ammo at all. Trying to find reloading components can be hit or miss and primers are particularly expensive.

I've shot all those you list, except the only Romanian ammo I've shot was steel case. They all go "bang" pretty reliably. None of them group all that well; 3-4 MOA is about the best I can do with milsurp ammo. Some people report cracked necks with Turk; the only year I have had a problem with is 1947, and just with a small percentage of those.
Any experience with the Greek 8mm from 1940 or thereabouts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts