Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading about rubbing the stock of my M-39 with Tung oil by hand once every 24 hrs. After doing that do you put any kind of wax or anything on it? Thanks alot.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've heard of people using various furniture waxes to achieve particular looks, such as a high luster shine, or a deep satin. Also, I've seen some very fine looking, satin finish that was done with the Birchwood Casey 'stock sheen and conditioner'.

I would let the tung oil dry completely and see how it looks before you decide what route to go, I redid my 91/30 with BLO and then 1 coat of Birchwood Casey Tru Oil, which is basically BLO with some other stuff in it, it looked good when I was done, and after about a week of 'curing' it looked even better, and I decided not to wax or anything.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. It sounds good.

·
Banned
490 Posts
Tung oil tends to produce a duller finish than linseed, and you should try a little on your skin first, since some people have a strong (allergic?) reaction to it.

I'd just as soon try plain boiled linseed oil, rather than any of the faster-drying branded varieties. It isn't boiling that really makes it different from the raw oil. It always, I think, has some amount of additives to speed drying. You will get the best finish by rubbing off the surplus of each costing when it gets nearly hard, except maybe a couple of light coats at the last, with burlap sacking or something.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't know that. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts