Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OOOHH Bubba? Why did you cut my stock off?

Since Bubba was kind enough not to cut the barrel off my 07/15 Berthier too, I'm going to un-Bubbize my Berthier long rifle.

Main problem with that is finding a stock!

I have a front band and rear band for a 07/15, but getting a stock is looking bleak. Only thing to be found is an occasional carbine stock, or another Bubba'd stock.

Have decided to fabricate myself a prosthetic forearm and graft it unto the remaining forearm.

To further complicate the splice deal, is that Bubba cut the stock behind the rear band(Bubba...You are an enormous DUFAS!). Can't hide the seem under the band, unless I relocate the band back an inch or so, so need to make as clean a join as possible.

Okay. Since I don't have any Finnish blood in my veins, and no skill or method of duplicating a splice such as a Finnish Mosin Nagant stock might possess, what sort of splice joint would you reccomend for a forearm splice?

I've got an idea in mind, but decided I better get another opinion or two before pioneering into a stock repair I've never done before.

Thanks, Stevie.

·
Registered
241 Posts
stock

Where in the world have you found a carbine stock!!!!I am in need of one!!!

I have a MLE M16(rifle) that has a solid aresenal repair in the wrist area,but still i cringe a bit when i shoot it because these things are non existant.

I have looked for any remnant of french stocks to fix the duffle cut carbine i have to no avail.There is a place i have read on the forums that will manuf. a new stock from a stock blank. I would imagine it would be rather pricey. I wonder what happened to all the repair parts for these?Most any other firearm there are parts around,but not these.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bubba'd Berthier has had the stock cut well behind the rear band. I got my replacement forestock made and glued, pinned in place with a transverse brass pin.

Cut a "V" notch top to bottom on my "new" forearm. Cut the front of the Berthier stock to fit, and used the barreled action to align and hold it all in place. Protected the barrel in the barrel channel with wax paper and epoxied in place.

Probably not something that would please a Finnish stock maker/ armorer, but does look pretty decent. The seam is really not that noticable. I think one I get my rear band fully fitted up, and the sanding done, my stain will make the joint even less noticable.

Hey Marcus, do a google search for 07/15 Berthier stocks. I turned up a meager selection at the various parts suppliers when I searched. Seems as if Hoosier Gunworks and a couple other places listed stocks carbine or bubbized in stock.

I fabricated my new forearm out of walnut salvaged off a pallet. Chose that wood because it came quite close to matching whatever brand of walnut the original buttstock was made from.

Will never be original or collectable, but considering the scarecity of parts for older French guns, all I can reasonably do. Does put a long Berthier in my collection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts