Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning folks. I'm in a bit of a quandary. I picked up a 34/53 double dated MO a few weeks back. It has a a rearsenaled stock with a lovely dark shellac coating. The problem is that the shellac is cracked, brittle, and flaking off bits at the slightest disturbance. I am currently debating on how to handle this as I'm not one to mess with Mosins since I love the original look and feel to them. if I leave it as is, the shellac likely won't last much longer, and already there are small bits of bare wood showing through. I've been told applying a very small amount of alcohol may 'rebind' the shellac, but due to it already wearing off completely in places, I'm not sure if I want to save what's left, find a new stock to place it in in the meantime, or try to refinish as close to the original Russian process as I can. What are your thoughts, and if I do have to refinish, what products would you recommend to get an authentic look?

Thanks!

·
Silver Bullet member
2,206 Posts
I have used solvent alcohol as a spray to help rebind the cracked and flaking finish, but sometimes it is the simple problem of the shellac just not sticking to an oily base. I fixed the problem on a handguard by just stripping it with alcohol and then degreasing the wood with brake cleaner and acetone. The new shellac I used was Indian brand gasket shellac from the auto parts store. Thin it slightly with alcohol and paint it on. The bottle even comes with its own brush. Thick gooey and red just like the rest of the stock. I have not had to do a complete stock yet.

·
Registered
17,732 Posts
the problem with refinishing a stock - 9/10 of them are a dead give away that they are refinished. Using a stock and leaving the finish alone will not hurt its value in this case. Refinishing it will.

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
If you are trying to preserve the original finish that's cracking and flaking. First spray the area down with some denaturated alcohol to get the old shellac to softer some and rebind somewhat. After that's dry, you can get a small foam roller and gently roll a thin layer of new shellac over the old to stabilize the old layer.

I personally wouldn't do a strip and refinish.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
When I first got 'into' Mosins I had a situation similar to yours, and went the re-finish route.
Didn't take long to dislike the too-pretty wood.
Found a decent replacement stock to put the action into.
Now the stock I refinished sits empty on a shelf.

Occasionally, there is a need to refinish a Bubba-ed stock that can't be easily replaced. This isn't one of those.
Leave it as it is, shoot the heck out of it, and show us a few pictures.:)

·
Registered
17,732 Posts
Occasionally, there is a need to refinish a Bubba-ed stock that can't be easily replaced. This isn't one of those.
This, ive saved a few in the past that bubba took the paint brush to... and brought them back to a respectable shooting grade look. But if its already correct and original there is no need. A time and a place.. and this is not one of them. Lets see the rifle!

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
Shellac isn't a very permanent finish. I can assure you that the original original finish looked a lot better than the supposedly original finish it has today. Once you get any surface grease off try the French Polish method. Use a folded up piece of fine cotton cloth, saturate with alcohol and maybe shellac if its too bare, and rub until smooth. Repeat, adding shellac if needed, until you get a nice smooth finish.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Buy a cheapo nice stock off Fleabay from some Bubba putting another Mosin in plastic, swap stocks and put your original in a bag in the closet until you are ready to put it back on for historic display.
Instantly reversible, you'll be happy and you save an original stock that came on your rifle.
Stripping and refinishing destroys all historic value and is a last ditch for destroyed and Bubbaed disasters, which yours is not.
The "MO" rifles have become very popular (no doubt due to the incorrect tale that they belonged to the Ministry of Defense for some sort of evil Soviet purpose or other) so keep your original stock original.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The "MO" rifles have become very popular (no doubt due to the incorrect tale that they belonged to the Ministry of Defense for some sort of evil Soviet purpose or other) so keep your original stock original.
:laugh:

x2. I'd keep it as-it is and let the (shellac) chips fall where they may.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.