Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife likes shooting her .22 single shot for target and the occasional squirrel removal, but after neck surgery and having three cervical vertebra fused, she can't put her head over enough to get a cheek weld on the gun, or even to sight it.

Resting the fore-arm on a bag and shooting from behind is "not a lot of fun."

So, what I need is to extend the stock DOWN so that the cheek piece (and the barrel) is about 3 inches higher than it is when the rifle is snugged up against her shoulder.

If this was a hunting rifle, I would worry about the torqueing the recoil, but it's a .22 :) and it's a single-shot, and there's no stock-bolt through the buttstock.

So, what I'm thinking is cutting the stock at 45 degrees just behind the striker, putting in a 4 inch piece of wood there, and attaching the cut off piece to the bottom of that.

____/----- so I end up with something like that...

I'm not MUCH of a wood worker, but I figure I can accomplish this even if it looks like bubba did it.

That make sense to you guys, or do any of you have a better idea?

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,430 Posts
That ought to work - or use a built up cheek piece and a high mounted, off-set scope

She sure has my sympathy for neck surgery. I had my session under a knife in '95, and was lucky. Posterior approach, bi-lateral foraminotomies at C5/C6 and C6/C7. Hurt like fury for a while, but once it healed, didn't have any loss of motion. Have been told i should NOT shoot heavy0-recoiling firearms. I mostly comply....

·
Registered
950 Posts
My sympathy, hope Bubba was not the surgeon!!!!!! An idea may be to try something like the ariflex (sp?) insulation (as used by a/c contractors on copper lines) and duct tape to get an idea for fit before starting to cut the stock. Or maybe since , you made no reference to the type of sights; there are many ring heights and base types and scopes that may be able to bring a sight picture to your wife without her having to try to crane whats left of the vertebrae... possibly a sidemount with tall rings ??? My idea is bring a scope over to her face and up to her eye and try to let the stock/rifle remain in a "normal " feeling position to the hands. Think Vasili Zeisev (or just at the sidemount for a Mosin sniper as my concept) maybe a little custom welding for a base?

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
Something like one of the silhouette type stocks with a thicker cheek-piece? Lots of drop in the butt and looks neat!

BTW my wife had similar surgery after a car accident 20+ years ago, made a complete recovery except for some pain after another accident last year.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Remember the farther from the bore the worse the parallax. "The distance between the sighting mechanism and the weapon's bore can introduce significant errors when firing at close range, particularly when firing at small targets."

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,430 Posts
Remember the farther from the bore the worse the parallax. "The distance between the sighting mechanism and the weapon's bore can introduce significant errors when firing at close range, particularly when firing at small targets."
Which is why you use a scope or mount that can correct for parallax, and set it for the "usual" (most used) range - and then use Tennessee elevation and Kentucky windage....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Scopes will only adjust for optical parallax, not physical parallax between scope and bore. The mount can adjust to centerline bore, but an offset mount will have both horizontal and vertical displacement from the bore centerline. The greater the displacement, the more POI differs as the target moves from the zero range.

All I am saying is IMHO you'd be better off modding the stock. If your wife likes target shooting, having a scope that requires a lot of tweaking could be frustrating.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I had an idea (wow) look at the shotgun section of the Brownells catalog at the adjustable butt plates or adjustable combs for shotgun. There are many bolt on / add on items for shotgun that adjust stock fit, cast off, cast on ect... that may make the stock adjustments quicker and easier to fine tune (you will probably need to adjust) . Many gunsmiths/shotgun pros and skeet buffs are used to fitting guns to shooters for different face shapes, length of pull and other adjustments.Look for local gunsmiths or try the closest skeet club. If a part will take the pounding from a 12ga. it will damn well handle .22 recoil.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
adjustable butt plate is an interesting idea.

Let's remember that there are three things going on here.

1) Get the barrel up high enough she can sight it.
2) Get the stock up high enough that she can make a cheek-weld.
3) have the stock extend down LOW enough she can put the butt of the gun up against her shoulder.

At present to accomplish 1 and 2 she is -literally- setting the bottom of the stock's butt on top of her shoulder.

this both gets the rear sight far to close to her eye, and isn't providing a secure mounting point for the gun to form a secure "triangle" between her shoulder, the left hand and the gun.

Last night, I experimented with taking a hunk of PVC tubing, cut in half lengthwise and duct-taping it to the stock at the butt so that it extended down from the butt, then she could put that against her shoulder, and shoot the gun.

Worked fine, ugly as sin. Now, this is a Stevens model 15 that I paid $25 for. :) If I ever want to put a "stock" stock back on it, I'll buy another gun.

Here's the plan. Cut the stock at about a 30 degree angle, drop the butt 3 inches, and insert a 1" oak board cut to fit above and below and screw and glue it to the two part of the stock.

I freely admit it will be UGLY.... but it ought to WORK.

I'll post photos after I get them, but here's a quck and dirty rendering of the plan.

Before:

after:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had an idea (wow) look at the shotgun section of the Brownells catalog at the adjustable butt plates or adjustable combs for shotgun. There are many bolt on / add on items for shotgun that adjust stock fit, cast off, cast on ect... that may make the stock adjustments quicker and easier to fine tune (you will probably need to adjust) . Many gunsmiths/shotgun pros and skeet buffs are used to fitting guns to shooters for different face shapes, length of pull and other adjustments.Look for local gunsmiths or try the closest skeet club. If a part will take the pounding from a 12ga. it will damn well handle .22 recoil.
So, I spent some time roaming through Brownells.

All the adjustable butt plates go IN AND OUT not UP AND DOWN...

And the cheek pieces don't help. Sure, I could put a cheek piece on, and get something to touch her cheek, but now her eyes would be WAY above the sights.

Oooops.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Look again at the buttplate, there is an adjustment that brings the pad down.... yes there is a very pronounced extension butt there is a series of stops for drop(like angled "v" notches mated) . Now that the idea is in place, I think we are getting somewhere. You WILL need to be able to fine tune and adjust, sorry, but face it; if any man could make a woman perfectly happy the first time on a new idea I haven't met him.The custom fit will need to be just that , custom to her. Look at the idea for the adjustable comb also.... maybe with threaded sleves and lock nuts from the hardware store???? The adjustment on the stock.... hmmmm... maybe something like a piece of electricians unistrut with a slide nut????? or maybe a piece of angle on each side and pins??? Boy, now I gotta think again!!!!!http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_840500001_1.jpg

·
Registered
950 Posts
Ok, so I'm an idiot.(did I spell it right?)......... Look at the Champion Shooters Supply web site; I just got the new catalog and they are showing the Freeland adjustable buttplate with +- 2 " adjustment vertically (in intended mount). Call these people; they are fantastic !!!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts