Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
mauserdoc
Posted - 09/26/2006 : 01:24:01 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However, the stuff that is appropriate to discuss here involved 5 swedes--Nonmatch factory redo's of 1919 and 1921, an all matching 4 number serial in the 4 K range on an obie that I had picked up for under 200$, and an all matching 1912 and 1911.

The 11 caught my attention--all matching with "v" sights and no disk. Not bad for 200$!! It Still had cosmoline in the magazine and bore. I cleaned it up and took it out shooting with one of the other board members. In less than ideal shooting condisions, it proved itself wonderfully--a couple inches a 100 yards in one of the groupls.

My question has to do with the markings on the wrist of this gun--Under the usual crowns , there was the nice little NP logo--What would have been done to an apparently "stock" and very original 96 at Norma during it's life? POssibly a rebarrel that I would note on taking the gun down, etc?

Thanks in advance for any info folks can share on this subject.

kriggevaer
Posted - 09/26/2006 : 01:53:29 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a wild guess, but did you check the barrel for the Norma mark? I've seen quite a few Norma barrels for CG 63, but I don't know if Norma produced any for m/96 rifles.

swede
Posted - 09/26/2006 : 03:13:16 AM
Yes , Norma made M-96 barrels . For some reason the one that I have with NP markings was left white metal between the receiver & rear sight . Very unusual , but I do not know the reason for it ? Also , if I remember correctly , it has no serial number ?

HK
Posted - 09/26/2006 : 5:33:18 PM
From how you describe it that looks like an Austrian "NP" mark - NP standing for Nitropulver (smokeless powder). Normally it should be followed by another letter like V (standing for Vienna) od F (for Ferlach).

For your background: Several countries in Europe mutually recognize each other's proof marks, i. e. France, Germany, UK, Czech Republic etc. But Sweden is not on this list. That means, when an m/96 is imported in one of these countries, it would have to be test fired by an official testing institution - with the consequence of big ugly proof marks being stenciled on barrel, lock and receiver. To avoid that, some clever private importers mark these rifles with a tiny proof mark to "legalize" the firearm and not to diminuish its collectors' value.

swede
Posted - 09/26/2006 : 6:04:16 PM
" NP " on Swedish mausers refers to the company " Norma Precision " .

JIMMYC
Posted - 09/29/2006 : 10:19:38 PM
I also have a M96 with the barrel left white between the receiver and rear sight. I will sort through some photos on CD's to find them.

Ok I found them. The rifle is a Huskie M-96 with diopter sights. It has the NP on the stock behind the trigger guard along with a large "X" The barrel is also in the white infront of the rear sight up to the first step in the barrel.

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/jimmyc/2006929223714__01.jpg
Download Attachment:
129.8 KB´

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/jimmyc/2006929223742_DSC00609-01.jpg
Download Attachment:
160.6 KB

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/jimmyc/2006929223813_DSC00611-01.jpg
Download Attachment:
153.36 KB

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/jimmyc/2006929223833_DSC00617-01.jpg
Download Attachment:
154.85 KB

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/jimmyc/2006929223855_DSC00621-01.jpg
Download Attachment:
163.81 KB

swede
Posted - 09/29/2006 : 11:22:11 PM
Your barrel is a little differant from mine , as it is blued from the rear sight forward . The white section has no serial number , but has a very tiny " np " stamped there , as well as a " h , sp , xx , & crown/b ". This is a 1916 CG M-96 target rifle with an ELM stock & handguard & Hauges diopter sight . The wrist of the stock has 2 crowns , a crown/s & np in a circle .

TE53
Posted - 10/01/2006 : 02:54:34 AM
I have a couple of rifles apparently worked on by Norma as well.
The usual stamp on the barrel is a small np, and the wrist stamped with a larger NP in a circle. However, one has the small version of the np in both places.

One of the stocks has a couple of X's also, which appear to me to be a way of 'erasing' earlier Crown markings.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,380 Posts
Carcano, thanks for transfering my photos. When I saw the post title I was going to do that also but you beat me to it. :>)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts