Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to get a consensus on how far one takes the restoration of the wood on 19th Century M-Hs, in particular the Nepalese cache examples. I believe in minimal refinishing to preserve original markings, etc., but at the same time have seen some real beauties on this site with regard to deep, rich finishes.

·
Administrator
4,137 Posts
You can get some very good results with just basic boiled linseed oil. Over time with the careful and correct application of BLO you will get some incredible results. Problem is people get in to big a rush and give up. You must have patience and take your time.

Rub the oil in with your hand, rub hard until you feel heat. Make sure the oil is syrupy and thick while doing this. Wipe the stock off and get rid of most of the oil on surface. Wipe a wet heavy coat of BOL on the stock and let it soak for about 15 minutes. After that wipe the excess oil off with cheap paper napkins, napkins like most fast food places offer. Don't use absorbent paper towels, they will draw oil out of the wood. Wipe the stock surface dry and let it sit for two days, then repeat the process. Do this for about two weeks. The last time wipe all the excess oil off, then with an old cotton T-shirt, one that has all the loose cotton fibers washed out of it and is thread soft, rub and polish the stuck vigorously with the grain until you get a soft sheen. To maintain just rub some fresh BOL on let sit for 15 minutes and wipe dry and polish with cloth.

This process will let fresh oil soak into the wood and will float the old oxidized oil and dirt out of the stock. You do not want this finish on the surface of the wood but in the wood. Never let BOL dry on the surface of the wood, it leaves a gummy mess.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Douglas, I will definitely go the BLO route. You were spot on about some being impatient with BLO, as I tried it once on a similar weapon years ago and just never gave it the time it needed.
On this particular M-H I had used Kramer's Best as a faster approach to BLO. While an excellent product, it has lasted for years but has a rather lackluster quality about it now. Do you have any recommendations on prepping the surface before I embark with the BLO?
Kind Regards,
Carl

·
Administrator
4,137 Posts
Apply the Kramers just as I explained the BLO and you will be very happy with it. I prefer it to BLO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.