Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this one today at a gunshow, a piece of the sling was broken off in the stock and a cleaning rod was broken off under the bayonet lug: I had to file down the edges to make it square so I could turn it out. $430 out the door... All original and matching except the bolt, which is all matching to itself and probably to a BYF 42. The dealer also sold me the bayonet he claimed came with it on the trade. I posted that in the bayonet forum as I know little about them. Anyway, this stuff is still out there and deals can be found with some patience.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Nice looking rifle. Please describe it a little more - like what exactly is it & what makes it special, or better than average. So many cool guns on this forum, I will never learn all the individual characteristics, but can try !!!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice looking rifle. Please describe it a little more - like what exactly is it & what makes it special, or better than average. So many cool guns on this forum, I will never learn all the individual characteristics, but can try !!!
It is a 1943 rifle assembled by Gustloff Werke. While not rare, it is much less common than a BCD 4. It is in excellent mechanical condition and well marked showing only some light finish loss to poor storage. To some collectors it is not very special since it is a bolt mismatch. However, compared to about 90% of K98ks encountered at gun shows it is special in that it has not been messed with at all. No renumbered parts, cleaned or sanded wood, reblue, steel wool scratches or other such nonsense. The best part is the price is reasonable in the current market.

You need not memorize all the individual charecteristics of each code and year. If you can learn to distinguish original finish from non-original, that is a good start. I learned from studying the pictures other members posted here and on other forums. Also, studying pictures will give you a good idea of what to expect from manufacturers/assemblers in general (i.e. what inspection stamps they used in what time frames, what serial fonts they use and the general fit and finish of their rifles).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts