Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Not much happening on this forum so I just thought I'd stick my head in the door.

Back in January of 2006, when Winchester had finally closed up shop, there was a "race" to the local shops by just about everyone looking for their Model 94. The prices around here rose about 25% over "normal". I, too, got caught up in that frenzy but was judicious in what I wanted. I wanted a 30.30 and it has to be an older model. The new ones just didn't do it for me.

I poke in the rack of about a dozen models and did end up finding a beautiful...really very nice 90% rifle, with a serial number dating back to 1952. The price was $371 including tax and it was C&R so all I had to do is swap paperwork with the FFL.

It's got to be one of the most fun rifles I own. I'm a big fan of military semi-autos but I've always wanted a lever-action rifle. This one fit the bill nicely.

Have any of you noticed what 94 Wins are going for anymore? Have the prices stablized?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
yes it is good buy, the prices have stablized on the older models,,just wait fir the jap model to hit the shelves

·
Silver Bullet member
28,796 Posts
I picked up a 1951 vintage as well, never was happy with it, so I gave it to my brother who was appreciative to get it as a gift and liked it enough to become proficient with it.

To satisfy my lever-action fix, I got myself a Savage 99

I hear you on the quality, I hear the ones made between 1964 and whenever FN took over are the worst of the entire run.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just recently aquired a 94 from my father and it was almost love at first sight. When I got the 94 it had a Model 64 buttstock, lower tang and possibly a Model 64 lever also (or a bent 94 lever). I do know the original buttstock was damaged in a car accident circa 1930-1940. I quickly got to a point in which I could not stand looking at that buttstock. It had to go! No luck finding an original so I settled for a new production stock and buttplate. A lot of sanding later, a new production saddle ring, and a used lower tang and lever and out rolls my little darling. Gun is missing the original front and rear sights but has a Marble front sight and an original Lyman 1A tang sight. Apart from the fore mentioned parts all is original and the bore is very good.
The front sides of the fore grip is notched with six bear and 24 deer on the opposite side. Serial number is 940xxx.

·
Super Moderator
6,319 Posts
Mine's a 1952, some scratches and the blueing is only ~ 65%, but it can really shoot. I took it to a 1,000-yard shoot last year. Had to elevate about 12 - 14 inches, and I had time to lay the rifle down and light up a smoke after I pulled the trigger while waiting for the bullet to reach the target. But you wouldn't want to stand within 1,000 yards of me with my M 94.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts