Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know anything about this brand? I've been offered one in trade. It's a 9.3x62. If it's a decent gun I might just pick it up,and off my ruger at the same time.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hmmm, I don't think a Stiga is worth getting rid of your Ruger for. There have been past posts on Stiga rifles that you should search for. Some of them are okay, but I am suspicious of them. They're sporterized military m/96 rifles and there have been some questions about them. But, in the end, I suppose it depends on how well the gun has been built into a 9.3x62.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Woodbeef,

Trade Ex, when they have any in stock, are selling those for less than 250,00 $...
I don't hink your Ruger is in that price range, isn't it?
They usually sport a good quality stock, but they're still ex-mil.
Of course, you don't see much of them in 9.3X62, lots of them being chambered for .270, .30-06 but I'm sure you can sell your Ruger for at least two of these..

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, about $250-300 is where I priced it out. He's offering it,and some dies plus $$$ for the trade. I have to wait a few days for pics though.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
My general apprehension about them is that there is so little information available about the company and the materials they used to build them. For instance, we have no idea what they used for barrels. I also have qualms about building .270 and .30-06 rifles out of of old military m/96 rifles, because the pressures generated by these cartridges are quite a bit higher than the 6.5x55 military loads generate.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
For instance, we have no idea what they used for barrels.
I read from Widforss catalogue 1962 : "Studsare "Stiga" . Mausersystem. Pipa av Bofors-stål, 60 cm, precisionsborrad av Schultz & Larsen, Otterup, berömda för sina tävlingsvapen" (barrel out of Bofors steel, accuracy-drilled by Schultz & Larsen, Otterup, famous for their match-rifles).

The Stiga Studsare (caliber 6,5x55, 30-06, 8x57J and 9,3x62) looks ridiculous similar to the Husqvarna Standard m/1640 in the same Widforss 1962 catalogue. Price for Stiga 355 SKr and Husqvarna 455 SKr.

So....Maybe Stiga used the best steel and had the best maker create the barrels? Can say that the Stiga in cal.30-06 with S&L barrel I used didnt make me disappointed.

Regards,
ARILAR:)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
precisionsborrad av Schultz & Larsen, Otterup
...uh oh, there Kriggie, buying them all up!!!

:D

Thanks for the info, Arilar!

As Kriggevær noted above, tho, I, too am a bit nervous about ex-military action rifles rebuilt into .30-06, .270, etc.

For one thing, we don't know how many rounds some of these guns saw as 6.5's before they were rebuilt, correct?

Other opinions?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
m/96?

This is out of my field but.....are "we" sure m/96 actions was used and if so in what extent? If I recall was my 30-06 Stiga based on a m/98 action ...Pettson, give us your results...
Regards,
ARILAR

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Thanks for the information arilar. The quality of the S&L barrels is definitely not in question and using a M98 action is a completely different class of firearm, as far as pressures go. I have not had the opportunity to examine a Stiga up close, but the ones I have seen listed in dealer sites and having photos have had m/96 actions.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks for the information arilar. The quality of the S&L barrels is definitely not in question and using a M98 action is a completely different class of firearm, as far as pressures go. I have not had the opportunity to examine a Stiga up close, but the ones I have seen listed in dealer sites and having photos have had m/96 actions.
The 3 Stiga rifles I have seen were all built on M96 actions. The conversion looked quite well done, and appeared very similar to a M46.

I have seen pictures of another rifle, very similar to the Stiga, but built by "Falun". It was also based on the M96 action, with a sporting barrel and sights similar to a M46 HVA.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I personally never saw any M98 built Stiga, but I've seen plenty on M94.
As JetHunter points out, the receivers shows no military roll stamps. The quality of the rifles is of no doubt, though. What never been clear, is from where they got thsoe receivers (milsurps of out of the chain (wich I really doubt, because of the sellig period... maybe left over receivers??) and what kind of treatment did they provide to the receivers... annealed and re-heat treated of just scrubbed (wich is unlikely to me - the receivers outside would have been very soft - wich is not the case, apparently...). So, any more infos about about Stiga (and Vapen Depoten Falun) and the proscess, material involved would have been a very good hint....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not sure if this is meaningful info but the other day I was comparing my Stiga/96/8x57 with my Husq/FN/640/8x57 and noticed that their barrel contours were identical. However, the machining of the Stiga barrel was very slightly blemished. It appeared as if the cutting tool paused or shifted - the taper wasn't smooth. My guess is that Stiga used 96 actions and some blemished parts from regular Husqvarna production and assembled a rifle made of quality material but with blemished or second production. Fit and finish isn't as good but more than adequate. But I'm no expert just an interested observer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts