Gold Bullet member
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tim
Gunboards Premium Member

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 : 4:00:01 PM Show Profile Reply with Quote
I have a source of Mk1 handguards, see my wts http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=87752

Download Attachment:
165.09 KB
They are £100 plus £5 postage each about $185 ish, if ten go to one address together then postage is free. I have had a small amount of interest and am able to ship from next week. The guy is making my repro Mk V handguards for me

Download Attachment:
25.47 KB

Download Attachment:
28.55 KB

Download Attachment:
30.36 KB
I am doing this for nowt as my payment is replacement Mk V furniture. I can do paypal apparently or even US dollars. Let me know how it feels fellas, I have sent bits and bobs about before at cost and this time I am doing it for someone else albeit I earn some hard work for free, so to speak. Oh and the handguards need metalwork as a rule come without springs so keep your metal work the wood will all be prepped ready, but untreated.

The MkV are £60 each part front and rear so £120 + postage £5 if together, this can only be done with springs as they are rocking horse poo or at least damn difficult to make. I know the priority is the No1 Mk1 handguards at the mo so I'll let him know you are after a set.

Although addressed to Vulch, anyone interested please note as well the remarks on the MKI rear H/GD?

Vulch thanks for the order, but as I have written (not placed before you posted) He HAS cracked the wood work on the rear MKI guard, it is the protector that is the hold up at the moment. He does not want to sell unless he is happy with the finished job.

Steel casting has proved impossible price wise and he has milled the aluminium one to see if he could do it. Only the knurling has to be sorted now. However as your the first in with a rear guard order he'll stick to the lower price(25 quid off, if both are bought) so if you want to take one of the last TWO Front Hgd's from his first batch only for now as they are still available, best to send the 100 + 5 Quid and as written when ready with the rear you'll get the discounted price? It means of course an extra Fivers postage eventually but better half a cake etc.

As you are another one of those who wants to get things "just right" I hope you see his mind set on this, as the protector is a real problem? He is considering other ways at the moment so keep in mind the next x10 new fronts are being made ready now.

Also mentioned further up the thread is the need to send a double spring for fixing (and nose cap and screws) unless you want to DIY as rivets/washers can be sent with the wood. He reckons there is enough broken(minus fingers) front and rear MKIII wood around to strip these items off, so no one should have a problem on that score?

Regards Tim.

More since
MKI Rear Hand guard 1st prototype only, screw in the wrong side deliberately on protector to show new made! Also the knurling has to be sorted and is in progress. Any one interested, best to make a firm order now due to work involved perhaps not viable after the first x10? Regards Tim.
Vulch I am having problems using the PM and now am unable to post pics, I'll email these direct to you if thats ok?

·
Silver Bullet member
15,572 Posts
Update on MkI and Metford Handguards

Oakleaves asked me to post this message and pictures for him as he can't access the board:

SMLE MKI series Front & Rear Handguards.

1)
New pics attached. ( The ones shown on the 1st sticky were the prototype etc and inferior to the final outcome) Note anyone using the later MKIII stock an extra inlet can be made to allow fitting of the proper profiled front HGd

2)
Price as written on the old to be ammended.... due to the GBP against the USD it became high unfortunately for the collectors. So a reduction on the Front to 75 GBP and also on the rear to 100 GBP or both together for 150 GBP. Plus Postage and Insurance if required. the wood is the correct English Walnut not the cheaper American, C Springs are attached and at the time of writing hopefully the front protector caps also will be added.

3)
Contact people who have the makers details are..
UK/Europe (Tim as per the sticky)
USA ( A Square 10)
Canada (Englisman-Ca)

These are all board members and in particular collectors, who can be contacted via the board. No money is gained by them, only their help in getting the folk who want the items and their knowledge of the same linked up for an order or possible parts trade etc.

4)
(When the stock of completed HGds is exhausted then that's it, no more are envisaged, due to the time, material and work involved in making them)

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
since the photos were lost in the move ill repost mine and again offer to provide the source contact to anyone interested , im very pleased with mine ,
front and rear for my mkI***

they come finished or not - i retouched mine to better match my rifles - mkI*** and my cond II 22 cal trainer

and the finished condII 22cal

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hello all this is Tim, I lost my login during the move and Oakleaves has been in touch again. Can we make this sticky re read SMLE MKI Handguards please?:)

·
Registered
650 Posts
MK1 series sMLE Hgds

Just a qiuck note on this sticky... it is Handguards only on offer via Tim ..A SQ 10.. and the englisman that has been advised on the threads above. (The stocks are being touted by the businessman WHO HAS A WEB SITE)

Please don't write for stocks to the guys mentioned, as it is confusing matters unfortunately. Now I've managed to get my new passwords sorted, if preferred please write direct on handguards only. (You'll see in the thumbnails in the sticky there are other types EG: Long Lee, NZ Carbine etc. etc)

Cheers Neil.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Well-made handguards--recommended

I purchased two sets of SMLE Mk I handguards (front and rear) from Neil, and they are very well made. The quality is excellent and I recommend them to anyone who wants to restore one of these early SMLEs. As the MkI rifles are beautiful examples of Edwardian engineering, and are relatively rare, I encourage all owners to do so, espcially as these are often encountered in "bubba" form. The cost of a complete restoration is not cheap, but it can be done incrementally.

I also purchased a forend from the folks at EFD, and it was also excellent.

Casual browsers of this thread should take note that the folks making the forends are NOT the same as the fellow making the handguards. I think this thread is potentially confusing on that matter, so review carefully.

Now, can anyone tell me who can fashion a forend for restoring a BSA Lee Speed?

·
Registered
737 Posts
...1907 Enfield Sht LE I***...Sporterized RESCUE!!!

Hello Gents...I really like what I've seen above with replacement wood for the Sht LE I***.
I "rescued" a 1907 Sht LE I*** today that has suffered from being "Sporterized" but most of the hard parts are there.

The rear sight and barrel are stamped 665W with the 665W lined through on the receiver. Above the "lined out" 665W on the receiver and the bolt is the stamping E R 4018.

Does the E R signify "Enfield Repair" at some time???
Please advise.

I want to bring it back as close to it's original configuration as realistically possible, knowing that it will take a great deal of time, patience and good fortune with my friends here on the Forum.

Please let me know the availability and cost USD for the replacement furniture and any suggestions and individuals I may contact for the front sight parts group, nosecap and screws, and front volley sight components.

Does the Sht LE I*** require the fore-end stud and fore-end stud spring like the No1 MkIII?
Should I contact Springfield Sporters for some of these needed hard items?

This is my primary project for 2008 and I appreciate any and all comments, opinions of what direction I should take, and suggestions from the knowledgable pros on this Forum.

Feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you wish.

all the best,
Ron

·
Registered
214 Posts
studs

If I havent got one its because I sent all if not most of mine to Neil in germany.

·
Registered
366 Posts
handguards

Here are pics of the repro handguards I got from Neil (use the contact info posted at the top of this thread to contact him).

BTW, this thread should be renamed to "Repro No1, MkI Handguards" (or Repro Sht Lee MkI Handguards), so as not to confuse with other wood items like stocks/forends. I have posted repro forend pics on a separate thread to avoid confusion.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Handguards and things

I'll be away for a few months shortly so anyone writing to the three sales contacts UK USA & Canada in the thread above will pass you on. Best to write direct to me and I'll get back to you on my return on a first come basis. Sorry for any inconvenience to your restorations but be assured it'll be worth the wait:))) Same applies to the MKII MLMetford & MKI MLE clearing rods they haven't been advertised yet, but as folk have found them via other restoration postings, best to get your name on the list perhaps?

Not OT as they're known as the American Enfield... same applies to the M17 wood sets I'm running out of Winchester plenty of R & E all original WW1 no arsenal rebuild markings. One last note worthy of your thoughts is ....if you have a 1904 sMLE MKI or earlier you should consider the single spring rear Hgd option.

Thanks to all who have contacted me before.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Additional

It was suggested I add these items onto this section due to the speed of the WTS boards getting lost so quickly etc. See pics I have half a dozen of both items left at present. Contact direct if interested? (Just in case of any misunderstanding.... not the carbine, only the slings & oil bottles :))))

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI!

Glad to report that I have managed to get a perfect replica of the top handguard for my MLM.

This was made by Neil a master Scottish craftsman who currently leaves in Germany.

He has also supplied me with a very nice ccleaning rod fo my MLE.

Here is his e-amil address, in case anybody should be in need of similar parts

[email protected]

Cheers!

Marco

·
Platinum Bullet member
763 Posts
Guys,

Neil recommended I come here to look at some handguards. Except for 4 pics (out of 6) posted by 'A square' I don't see any active links and the 'thumbnails' are non-existent. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Gold Bullet member
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When this site was updated to the latest version of the software, the pictures did not transfer and got lost. They are still in the system, but will not display.
pm the the source: 24626151
Ask him to send you pictures and to possibly re-post them here.

·
Registered
650 Posts
NZ carbine Hgds

Scroll down or up....find post by 03 Man 09 Nov 07 there are some thumbnaiil pics....1st pic on the left shows various types of the rarer Hgds being made. 5th in from the right I think? Is the NZ carbine Hdg.... the longer one is for the Cavalry carbine...in there is also for the MKV sMLE... Lee Metford ...MKI & II same as for the LEFd and charger loading types & Martini Metford/Efd & of course what the sticky is all about the MKI sMLE and the .22 clipped types. hope that's a bit clearer?

Thanks for the insight as to where the other pics went etc.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I didn't know the pics had been dropped...I'm re-posting them here.

These are the repro handguards that Neil made.

Thanks to ansleyj for help in getting them posted.

As you can see, Neil's craftsmanship is top-notch.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.