Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why would anyone pay $5000 for a repro firearm and put out close up to a dollar a round to shoot the darn thing is beyound me. Open your eyes guys, These things are not worth a third of their asking price. If you don,t go crazy and buy one they will have to go down and even if they do, what do you have, A REPRO GUN. big deal

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Cobra

i some-what agree with you...i would rather always have an original piece, than pay big buck for o repro...but some guys can't swing 15k for the real deal or get a cleo signature...as for shooting the mp44...new mfg ammo is now .45/round...this is what i paid for 2k rounds at the oct creek from cole distributing

andy

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you don,t go crazy and buy one they will have to go down
I presume that by go down you mean the price? Unfortunatly you are wrong here. If manufacturers and importers don't get the kind of return they need to make supplying these rifles they will simply stop making or importing them.

The only way they can get the cost down is through economies of scale (i.e. mass production) and since that will never happen because of the market these are aimed at we're stuck with high prices.

Thinking that prices will drop because people don't buy them is a pipe dream, they'll just disappear from the market and in future importers won't be prepared to take a gamble and import oddball rifles such as these.

(besides from what I have read they aren't even in the US yet and no arrival date is known).

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,909 Posts
They're a bit overpriced now, yes, but the ammo is actually quite reasonable. Prices won't come down too terribly much for a few years and if they do it will be on slightly different MP-44s, economies of scale means they will change the model slightly for large scale manufacture. I bet the original ones will still retain their value as newer, cheaper MP-44's will be "lower quality" or have some other collector prejudice attached to them. Just like the century build AK's versus the polytech ones.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
STG-44

I really can,t believe that you think $5ooo is a good price for a repro. gun. There is history behind the real thing but, these things are the same as repro helmets ,uniforms and other junk that is being put out to satisfy a fanfasy of owning the real thing. EBAY has a company in China that is putting out every German camo outfit that was ever made. Twenty years from now you won,t be able to tell what is fake and what is the original thing. Not so with these repro,s they are still copies no matter what you call them and over priced ones at that. Come on guys The Russians must have thousands of these rifles in wear houses just waiting for suckers as the ones for the P-38,s and overhauled 98-K rifles that are coming on the market TODAY.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Cobra, I don't know what world you are living in but in the real world all those thousands of MP.44s sitting in Russia, are NEVER going to be seen in the US. If you're lucky you might see some come in as parts kits but even that is very unlikely given that the BATF is getting stricter on their importation.

Heck it isn't even a sure thing that these Dittrich will make it to the USA, they've been promised for close to a year now so far none have entered the country.

And to be honest I doubt that posts like this would help motivate importers to bring them in.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
STG-44

Bas, Is it true that you still bring cars into your country in parts and pay someone to put them together? Maybe that is what the Russians will do for you guys down under,Give you something to do. Oh.By the way I,ve been collecting for 60 years,I have bought MP-44 rifles in the past for $40.00 each. They are still not worth $15,000

·
Registered
111 Posts
Bas, Is it true that you still bring cars into your country in parts and pay someone to put them together? Maybe that is what the Russians will do for you guys down under,Give you something to do. Oh.By the way I,ve been collecting for 60 years,I have bought MP-44 rifles in the past for $40.00 each. They are still not worth $15,000
Cobra, not anymore. There is no indigious car manufacture left in NZ they are all imported now.

But if it makes you feel any better we can still import pretty much any kind of firearm we want, including full-auto MP.44s. Finding them for sale is the hard part. Which is the crux of the problem. Your comment about the value of an MP.44 is just naieve especially from someone with 60 years collecting experience.

You know full well that price is a factor of supply and demand, and when there is a finite supply and a growing demand it is inevitable that prices go up. You may not see the $15,000 worth, but others do and that is enough. If I had the money to lay $250,000 on a FG-42 I'd be all over one, but I don't and I don't get bitter over the fact that in the 1960's they used to cost $120.00 because those days are gone, never to come back.

I had some lucky times too, and have some regrets in the last 16 years of collecting but thats life, you move on with the times. Only the dead live in the past.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
You've got me beat by 5 - I started collecting WW 2 German in 1953.
I agree that the prices of ALL full autos today IS rediculous, BUT so is the prices of new cars. I paid about $1700 ? for a new Ford convertable in Sep 1957. Based on that $20-25,000 for one now is absolutely ridiculous, BUT again you are also comparing 75¢ an hr wages to $12+. Shall we all go back to the 75¢ so we can get new cars for $1700 and MP 44s for $75???
I used to pay $20 for a P.38 or K98k in the mid 50s, I now pay $7-900 for P.38s and would have to pay $1200 for a good all matching K98k.
Geat real - or maby, be realisitc! :rolleyes:
In addition what about the guys who live in states like illinois who can not legaly own a functional full auto of any kind - even if it was $25. For them the "Repro" is a wonderful thing - IF they can afford it and are willing to spend the money.
Sarge

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
BATFE denied importation of these items based on the sporting clause and used the recent Heller decision to squash the appeal.
Do you have a link to the BATFE ruling? I would interested in the wording.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.