Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does one look for when looking over a STG44 before buying? Obviously matching numbers, but I see alot of them are made up form parts with 2 tone finish? is that normal/hurt value? Any other info would be appreciated!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got permission to post the rifle to get better feedback. Thanks in advance for any help! If anyone thinks there is a better place to post this let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
What does one look for when looking over a STG44 before buying? Obviously matching numbers, but I see alot of them are made up form parts with 2 tone finish? is that normal/hurt value? Any other info would be appreciated!
Parts were made by varying sources, so invariably you have differences when it came to types/shades of their finishings....This didn't have any effect on how the weapon operated and is completely normal...If it bothers the person looking for one, than he could search for an earlier version, buy a reproduction, or build their own and finish it to their own likings...In cases such as with P38's, the variation in finishes adds to value and collectability.....Bodes

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Parts were made by varying sources, so invariably you have differences when it came to types/shades of their finishings....This didn't have any effect on how the weapon operated and is completely normal...If it bothers the person looking for one, than he could search for an earlier version, buy a reproduction, or build their own and finish it to their own likings...In cases such as with P38's, the variation in finishes adds to value and collectability.....Bodes
Thanks! So different shades were normal or just late war? how does the rest of the rifle look?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Most are MORE THAN two tones. Several of the ones Bill Easterly showed me back in the sixties had some kind of paint on some parts, various kinds of oxide/blue, some quite matte.

Even matching numbers is "iffy". At the very end, they seem to have been fielding firearms put together by unit armorers from busted rifles and spares.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Most are MORE THAN two tones. Several of the ones Bill Easterly showed me back in the sixties had some kind of paint on some parts, various kinds of oxide/blue, some quite matte.

Even matching numbers is "iffy". At the very end, they seem to have been fielding firearms put together by unit armorers from busted rifles and spares.
Magazines for the G/K43's were painted, blued ,and phosphated....I've also heard that some parts for the MP43/44's had been painted....Bodes

·
Registered
441 Posts
That "was" a minty MP44. finishes all look good. Butt stock may or may not be original, can't tell from the pics. I've never seen any paint on any of the MP series guns. The value of that is in the parts only and the finish wouldn't really make that much difference at this point. The condition of the parts appear excellent. Sadly, the gas axe has removed 30K of value from this gun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That "was" a minty MP44. finishes all look good. Butt stock may or may not be original, can't tell from the pics. I've never seen any paint on any of the MP series guns. The value of that is in the parts only and the finish wouldn't really make that much difference at this point. The condition of the parts appear excellent. Sadly, the gas axe has removed 30K of value from this gun.
Hey, at least they didn't torch through the swing down lower..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts