Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I wanted to get some information on the M95 I picked up from J&G sales over the weekend. Pictures are to follow but basically I am curious as to why this weapon does not have the "S" stamped on the barrel. Does this mean its an original carbine? But I was under the impression that the weapons were not made as carbines until well after the 1920 manufacture date that is on the weapon now. Anyways, any info yall can get me would be appreciated. Cant wait to get the cosmoline out of this carbine and get to the range.

Pete steyr photo4.JPG steyr photo3.JPG steyr photo5.JPG steyr photo6.JPG

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
My guess is that it missed being stamped with a S. I have a carbine that is in 8x56r with no S on the receiver.
There is a small chance that it is still in 8x50r so I would definitely check. (8x50 will not chamber a 8x56.)

In all you lucked out with a nice Wn-20 dated gun. Which seem plentiful right now, to me, but apparently few were made. These were put together after WWI as reparations as I understand it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Does it have bottom swivels? Not a hard-and-fast rule, but carbines/stutzens that retain their bottom swivels are more likely to be in 8x50, while those without tend to be in 8x56.
Also, many M95s were made in from the start in carbine/stutzen length, as your was (based on the "carbine" rear sight).

-Devo

·
Registered
912 Posts
Originally, the M95 was made in three versions, Repetiergewehr ("repeating rifle," full length, i.e. 29" barrel, bottom swivels only, w/bayonet stud and stacking hook) Repetierstutzen (short rifle, 19" barrel bottom swivels only, w/bayonet stud and stacking hook) and Karabiner (carbine, 19" barrel, side swivels only, no bayonet stud). With the onset of World War I, most cavalry units were dismounted, and the utility of having both side and bottom swivels became evident, so many carbine were retrofitted with "Stutzenbands," the upper barrel band with a bayonet stud and a stacking hook, and production went to Stutzenkarabiners (Stutzens with side swivels added) and Karabinerstutzens (Carbines with with bottom swivels, bayonet stud and stacking hood added). By the end of World War I, both side and bottom swivels were standard for the short version of the M95. With the switch to 8x56R, many of the long barreled M95s were cut down to Stutzen length, with both side and bottom swivels standard. The bulk of M95s currently available were refurbished in Bulgaria post World War II, which included deleting the bottom swivels.

-Devo

·
Registered
57 Posts
Originally, the M95 was made in three versions, Repetiergewehr ("repeating rifle," full length, i.e. 29" barrel, bottom swivels only, w/bayonet stud and stacking hook) Repetierstutzen (short rifle, 19" barrel bottom swivels only, w/bayonet stud and stacking hook) and Karabiner (carbine, 19" barrel, side swivels only, no bayonet stud). With the onset of World War I, most cavalry units were dismounted, and the utility of having both side and bottom swivels became evident, so many carbine were retrofitted with "Stutzenbands," the upper barrel band with a bayonet stud and a stacking hook, and production went to Stutzenkarabiners (Stutzens with side swivels added) and Karabinerstutzens (Carbines with with bottom swivels, bayonet stud and stacking hood added). By the end of World War I, both side and bottom swivels were standard for the short version of the M95. With the switch to 8x56R, many of the long barreled M95s were cut down to Stutzen length, with both side and bottom swivels standard. The bulk of M95s currently available were refurbished in Bulgaria post World War II, which included deleting the bottom swivels.

-Devo
Good information, thanks much. Don

·
Diamond Member
1,573 Posts
I've had a few of these and if there is no "S, its still a 8 x 50R

1 - 7 of 7 Posts