Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
picked this up a neat steyr 1912 pistol. chilean contract number 82x. i am wondering if anyone can help me value this piece. i have read that these were manufactured from 1912-1914 'not sure if its true... original finish grips and functional with all original parts except the barrel has a different serial number with a k suffix after. the bore is in excellent condition bright and shiny with deep grooves. overall a very attractive piece i believe should still function properly. it is import marked very discreetly on the lanyard loop but is hardly noticeable. has most of the original blue with wear at high points , backstrap and frontstrap have wear with light pitting. metal is smooth no dings, all markings are crisp and clear. i tried to put a regular winchester 9mm in the barrel and it will not fit and this leads me to believe it is 9x23.... i will update with pics tomorrow in daylight , but i figure this is a starting point.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Nice pickup....you do not see the chilean contract pieces that often. as to your question about value that is subjective. The gun is in nice condition. however, the import mark can effect value with some collectors. the last one I saw for sale was around $825 and that was not import marked.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shucks. should have bought a replacement lanyard loop 'not marked' and ya woulda been none the wiser haha , just kidding.
i guess its worth as much as someone will pay......iam thankful the import mark is so small you cant even see it practically

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,613 Posts
i may have to find some ammunition for er and take er to the range it is very presentable .
9m/m Steyr is to be had , probably Fiocchi easiest to find. Not real expensive. Or roll your own using Starline .38 Super Comp brass and .38 ACP/.38 Super dies. They shoot well, once you get used to the rather up-right grip. Easier to oad if you can get a few strippers, but single-loading the magazine isn't a terrible chore.

Triggers tend to be variable - from not too bad to 'takes three men, a boy and a plow mule' to pull (my bitser is in that category; an unmolested Chilean will likely be "not bad at all"). Do be sure you understand how to strip it and avoid taking the extractor out unless you really have to. It can be broken and is just about unobtanium as far as finding a replacement (friend found that out).

·
Silver Bullet member
31,833 Posts
Here are a couple of sites with good info

http://randyrick.us/AustrianFirearms/pm1912.htm
http://www.hungariae.com/Stey12.htm

Oh yeah, and Czech ZB-26 stripper clips (usually seen on 7.62x25) will work in the Steyr-Hahn, just remember to engage the safety when loading!

IGB Austria also makes brand-new 9x19mm barrels. Not cheap though
http://www.igbaustria.com/shop/prod...0_igb-custom-barrel-for-steyr-m12---hahn.html

With respect to the trigger pull, keep in mind that the recoil spring doubles as the trigger spring, so the more powerful the spring, the heavier the trigger pull. Also, if you are missing the recoil spring cap that goes against the trigger, it will have a "clicky" feel to it.

Nice find BTW.

·
Registered
111 Posts
9m/m Steyr is to be had , probably Fiocchi easiest to find. Not real expensive. Or roll your own using Starline .38 Super Comp brass and .38 ACP/.38 Super dies.
FWIW, Starline is now making 9mm Steyr brass. Graf's has it in stock as of this writing. I just bought a couple hundred cases last week. Knowing Starline though one will have to move fast or it will soon be out of stock for months or years. Every Steyr M12 owner should get at least 100 cases if they intend to shoot theirs.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/28411

·
Registered
404 Posts
picked this up a neat steyr 1912 pistol. chilean contract number 82x. i am wondering if anyone can help me value this piece. i have read that these were manufactured from 1912-1914 'not sure if its true... original finish grips and functional with all original parts except the barrel has a different serial number with a k suffix after. the bore is in excellent condition bright and shiny with deep grooves. overall a very attractive piece i believe should still function properly. it is import marked very discreetly on the lanyard loop but is hardly noticeable. has most of the original blue with wear at high points , backstrap and frontstrap have wear with light pitting. metal is smooth no dings, all markings are crisp and clear. i tried to put a regular winchester 9mm in the barrel and it will not fit and this leads me to believe it is 9x23.... i will update with pics tomorrow in daylight , but i figure this is a starting point.

i don't want to crap on your party but the big "9mm" on top of the serial number is part of the import marking process and not original to these steyrs.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its a nice one, i kinda figured the 9mm marking was import related, just like on the lanyard loop.
when i got this pistol it was completely in parts , took me an hour to find all the right parts in bins and about an hour to put together haha.
got er from a collector buddy selling old parts guns and guns in parts lol

·
Silver Bullet member
31,833 Posts
I have my replacement 9x19 barrel from Austria, I need to try it out and report on it. They said it had a lifetime warranty and they are honoring it.

·
Silver Bullet member
31,833 Posts
I have my replacement 9x19 barrel from Austria, I need to try it out and report on it. They said it had a lifetime warranty and they are honoring it.
Had a semi-function test today. I tried different ammo than the initial test (Federal aluminum-cased stuff) and it was total poop in the Steyr-Hahn. Best I could manage was to single-load it; also didn't help I forgot the stripper clips.. Managed to fire 25 rounds, but was stressed doing it. That being said, it appears to have better accuracy than the first barrel and the problem did not crop up again.

Would like to try some WWB through it and make sure its consistent.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,371 Posts
The Chilean guns are in 9mm Steyr, not Parabellum. Ammo is still loaded by Fiocchi, but usually has to be ordered. With factory ammo they are quite reliable if they still have the original parts (crude spares fabricated in Chile are sometimes encountered). Apart from the flat wire recoil spring (probably where Gaston Glock got the idea), every spring in the gun is a tempered leaf spring and unfortunately prone to breakage. Disassembly is to be avoided for that reason. Some of these guns were imported by Interarms c.1985. The required import markings are found on the side of the frame near the muzzle, visible only when the slide is retracted. Others --brought in later by others--are found with "9mm" and other import marks stamped externally on the slide.

If locked open, the Chileans' slides should not be released by thumbing down the safety catch, as this will tear up the slide notch, which is really just for loading on this model. To release the slide to chamber a cartridge, pull the slide fully rearward and release it smartly.

A barrel with a "K" suffix is a replacement from an Austrian gun. Chilean serials went up only to the "D" series.

M

·
Registered
404 Posts
shucks. should have bought a replacement lanyard loop 'not marked' and ya woulda been none the wiser haha , just kidding.
i guess its worth as much as someone will pay......iam thankful the import mark is so small you cant even see it practically
that's not going to work i'm afraid,the big "9mm" on the slide is part of the import marking as well.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have learned about the import markings as a member brought it to my attention. As well as the lanyard loop. When i got the steyr it was completely in pieces in a plastic container. I do realize it is a crucial piece that does hold mainspring hammer spring etc as well as spring and follower . its not just a loop

·
Silver Bullet member
31,833 Posts
I have learned about the import markings as a member brought it to my attention. As well as the lanyard loop. When i got the steyr it was completely in pieces in a plastic container. I do realize it is a crucial piece that does hold mainspring hammer spring etc as well as spring and follower . its not just a loop
Since I was updating Steyr-Hahn threads....

Interesting, Numrich/E-Gunparts is sold out of the whole assembly on their site, but have most of the pieces

There is a European seller on Gunbroker with a complete assembly, but the asking price is ridiculous

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.