Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Also in JPS's Forum)

Hello Folks -

Here is a Steyr made 1912 Mexican Bayonet, marked with the Steyr "OEWG", the Mexican "RM" and a serial number (or more) on the pommel.

Any ideas on whether this would be an Austrian wartime used bayonet or one that actually went to Mexico. It is coming from Europe, if that means anything. I've never seen an RM marked '12 before. Most seem to be Chilean or not marked at all. And, there is precious little out there on these!

- Best Regards! Mike​
Attached Thumbnails

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hi !

I had two mexican M1912, (Austrian M1914), in my collection.

Both of them were stamped with RM on the blade and REPUBLICA MEXICANA on the crossguard.
Both of them showed no serial-number on the pommel.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
John Walters reports that over 60,000 Steyr M.1912's (Austro-Hungarian Modell 1914's) were sequestered and taken over by the Austro-Hungaran Army. Most pictures of troops armed with this rifle are shown with scabbard and bayonets. Pictures of my Modell 1914 bayonet are at the URL, John Sheehan's WW I Forum: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?172907-Steyr-1912-Mexican-Bayonet

The bayonet looks just like the one described above by Reibert.
Best Regards,
John

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Hi !

I had two mexican M1912, (Austrian M1914), in my collection.

Both of them were stamped with RM on the blade and REPUBLICA MEXICANA on the crossguard.
Both of them showed no serial-number on the pommel.
Hello Reibert,
Are your Mexican bayonets unit marked by any chance? Unfortunately, mine is not. Do you own an Modell 1914 rifle? They are very hard to find in the USA in the Austro-Hungarian Army configuration.
Best Regards,
John

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,479 Posts
Coming from Europe it seems unlikely it was ever in Mexico. That being said, if I had a Mexican 1912 rifle, I would sure put that bayonet with it.

(Also in JPS's Forum)

Hello Folks -

Here is a Steyr made 1912 Mexican Bayonet, marked with the Steyr "OEWG", the Mexican "RM" and a serial number (or more) on the pommel.

Any ideas on whether this would be an Austrian wartime used bayonet or one that actually went to Mexico. It is coming from Europe, if that means anything. I've never seen an RM marked '12 before. Most seem to be Chilean or not marked at all. And, there is precious little out there on these!

- Best Regards! Mike​

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coming from Europe it seems unlikely it was ever in Mexico. That being said, if I had a Mexican 1912 rifle, I would sure put that bayonet with it.
Hi Geladen -

Here is the blade attached to an Austrian M14 (Mexican 1912):

- Mike

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,479 Posts
Hi Geladen -

Here is the blade attached to an Austrian M14 (Mexican 1912):

- Mike
That's better yet. An Austrian/Mexican bayonet properly mounted on an Austrian/Mexican rifle. If I was entering WWI, I sure wouldn't be sending good Steyr made Mauser rifles (and bayonets) to Mexico.

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was pawing through the bayonet 'box' and found another Steyr 1912. It has neither Mexican or Chilean stamps, On the pommel is the scrubbed remains of an 'F' prefix that I believe may have been meant for Mexico. Then it is overstamped with a serial number 02114 (just a few hundred off from the RM bayonet) which is probably Czech.

- Best Regards! Mike

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Some of the Mexican M12 rifles & bayonets never made it to Mexico as a result of WW1. They were given to some Alpine division troops only, not to complicate ammo supply. Ofcourse they were in 7m/m. I think I have one!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.