Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dealer was advertising the pistol as refinished, due to apparently great shape. I can’t see any sign of rework, seems to be original to me. But I’ve never seen one in good shape & original finish. Would love to hear opinions of more knowledgeable people.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Font
Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Font
Font Material property Gun accessory Metal Office equipment
Automotive tire Font Material property Wood Parallel
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Bumper
Drinkware Handwriting Window Cylinder Font
Automotive tire Rim Auto part Automotive wheel system Bicycle part
Building Wood Electric blue Pet supply Metal
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal
Grey Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive design Auto part

·
Registered
466 Posts
My best guess without seeing it in person would be an arsenal reblue. Note the S.W. police mark does not appear to be through the blue, rather below it. If in person the S.W. is through the blue, then it is definitely not a reblue. However, the safety milling is still in the white. If it is a non-arsenal reblue, its one of the best I've ever seen.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No more Steyr aficionados to share their thoughts? :) some close ups of SW markings
Water Wood Wall Automotive tire Grass
Automotive lighting Wood Gadget Cable Font
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive lighting Font

·
Registered
206 Posts
These were rebuilt in 1934 to replace the bolt with a heavier slide (essentially correcting a design flaw), hence "/34".
Undoubtedly, they would have been reblued at that time, as necessary. The new slide finish had a different
look, possibly giving it a "refinished" appearance. This and some other early auto pistol designs had bolts that were too
light to resist opening the breach before the bullet left the barrel unless an excessively heavy recoil spring was used.
The heavy spring made it difficult retract the slide, so the design of this pistol incorporated a hinged barrel so that the first
cartridge could be loaded without retracting the slide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts