Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Im new to the page and im seeking further information regarding a recently acquired Steyr 1896. If anyone could provide any information I would greatly appreciate it. Looking for year manufactured (stamped 1954) estimate of worth, cartridge, and who it was manufactured by! Thanks in advance!

·
Silver Bullet member
2,380 Posts
Yup, .303

The stock looks like it might be replaced, having the continental wood magazine fairing and the german style sling cutout. Not sure if that sling swivel arrangement was found on colonial carbines either. Handguard might be correct though.

Adding some pics comparing a .303 catridge to a 6.5x53r dutch cartridge with a piece of spent brass out of my Indonesian carbine to illustrate to odd chamber resulting from this conversion. Also a pic of the unmolested receiver markings on mine since most are ground.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, .303

The stock looks like it might be replaced, having the continental wood magazine fairing and the german style sling cutout. Not sure if that sling swivel arrangement was found on colonial carbines. Handguard might be correct though.

Adding some pics comparing a .303 catridge to a 6.5x53r dutch cartridge with a piece of spent brass out of my Indonesian carbine to illustrate to odd chamber resulting from this conversion. Also a pic of the unmolested receiver markings on mine since most are ground.

hey mike thanks for the info however i was unable to view your attached pictures... also what would a rifle like this be worth?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, .303

The stock looks like it might be replaced, having the continental wood magazine fairing and the german style sling cutout. Not sure if that sling swivel arrangement was found on colonial carbines either. Handguard might be correct though.

why does it have a cal. 7.7 stamp then? is it possible to be 7.7 arisaka type ammo

·
Registered
334 Posts
.303in is 7.7mm. Indonesia used/uses the metric system. Hence why it is marked the metric 7.7, not the imperial .303. Your rifle is in .303 British. It is not chambered for 7.7 Japanese/Arisaka. Your rifle is a former Dutch rifle that the Indonesians converted to .303 British postwar, hence the date, 1954. There is not a whole lot of standardization of the Indonesian conversions as far as features go, besides the .303 caliber conversion. Some have rubber pads on the butt plates, some don't. Some have flash suppressors (like yours), some don't. Some have the full rifle sights, some have simple dual-distance flip rear sights. Some retained the Dutch bayonet lug, some were converted to take Type 30 (Arisaka) bayonets, others to accept the SVT-40 bayonet. I could go on and on. Value wise, I have seen them go from $250-$600, with many factors. I would say yours is probably around the $250-$350 range based on the bluing loss, but taking its features into account. I hope you find this helpful and welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
.303in is 7.7mm. Indonesia used/uses the metric system. Hence why it is marked the metric 7.7, not the imperial .303. Your rifle is in .303 British. It is not chambered for 7.7 Japanese/Arisaka. Your rifle is a former Dutch rifle that the Indonesians converted to .303 British postwar, hence the date, 1954. There is not a whole lot of standardization of the Indonesian conversions as far as features go, besides the .303 caliber conversion. Some have rubber pads on the butt plates, some don't. Some have flash suppressors (like yours), some don't. Some have the full rifle sights, some have simple dual-distance flip rear sights. Some retained the Dutch bayonet lug, some were converted to take Type 30 (Arisaka) bayonets, others to accept the SVT-40 bayonet. I could go on and on. Value wise, I have seen them go from $250-$600, with many factors. I would say yours is probably around the $250-$350 range based on the bluing loss, but taking its features into account. I hope you find this helpful and welcome to the forums!
great information! and yes i was thinking in the 300 dollar range as well, its a family friend that wants to get rid of it and doesnt know anything about old rifles and has zero interest. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hey Rick, sending you a "conversation" about the rifle. You should be able to find it under your profile under conversations.

Reactions: Rick2006

·
Silver Bullet member
2,380 Posts
Some retained the Dutch bayonet lug, some were converted to take Type 30 (Arisaka) bayonets, others to accept the SVT-40 bayonet.
I could never figure out which bayonet mine took. Neither an SVT nor a japanese type 30 bayonet would fit and Its definitely not a dutch style lug so there may be other possibilities as well

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
This is for Mike Rockhill: Did you try a British P1907 bayonet? Don't know for sure but the OP carbine with the muzzle brake seems like it would take it. Also, since they use .303 British ammo, there is British influence on these.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
i just acquired it a few days ago so i havent tried any bayonets yet
I was responding to Mike Rockhill (I modified my post to make it clear) since he mentioned trying different bayonets to see which fits, but it would apply to your carbine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone know which clips i need for this rifle? it did not come with any im see regular stripper clip styles as well as a more incased version

·
Silver Bullet member
2,380 Posts
This is for Mike Rockhill: Did you try a British P1907 bayonet? Don't know for sure but the OP carbine with the muzzle brake seems like it would take it. Also, since they use .303 British ammo, there is British influence on these.
I couldnt remember if I had, so I checked and no luck. Still, thanks for the suggestion.
Does anyone know which clips i need for this rifle? it did not come with any im see regular stripper clip styles as well as a more incased version View attachment 3746865 View attachment 3746866
The dutch clips are the proper ones. They seem a bit tight when you load cartridges into them, but mine functioned great.

Unsure of what the results might be I initially shot mine with the famous old hangfire ridden POF 60s dated .303 that come in the 32rnd cardboard cartons, so I wouldn't feel like I was wasting good ammo. It shot suprisingly well given the ammo issues putting up a 4-5 inch group at 100, a little high but still on paper and easily compensated for.

Overall I think rather highly of these little conversions, alot of fun to shoot, IMHO.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I couldnt remember if I had, so I checked and no luck. Still, thanks for the suggestion.The dutch clips are the proper ones. They seem a bit tight when you load cartridges into them, but mine functioned great.

Unsure of what the results might be I initially shot mine with the famous old hangfire ridden POF 60s dated .303 that come in the 32rnd cardboard cartons, so I wouldn't feel like I was wasting good ammo. It shot suprisingly well given the ammo issues putting up a 4-5 inch group at 100, a little high but still on paper and easily compensated for.

Overall I think rather highly of these little conversions, alot of fun to shoot, IMHO.

so the more enclosed looking ones not the stripper clip type correct? and where could i source these for a reasonable price?

·
Silver Bullet member
2,380 Posts
so the more enclosed looking ones not the stripper clip type correct? and where could i source these for a reasonable price?
Yes, the enclosed ones are correct. I found a few on ebay for about $8 a pop a couple years ago and found a few more here and there at gun shows in various nooks and crannies, averaging about $5 each. The come parkerized and painted steel. Most I found are coated in a translucent brown color that flakes easily and gives the impression of rust at a glance.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I will second that the Dutch "6.5" en-blocs are the correct clips to use.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will second that the Dutch "6.5" en-blocs are the correct clips to use.
purchased 3 off ebay for 20 bucks! not too bad also i purchased this rifle along with a spanish 1916 mauser and a sporterized type 99 arisaka..... 300 bucks forrrrrr ALLLL 3 baby!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts