Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Stevens 520 that is missing a few parts. Im looking to see if someone is big into these and knows all the minute differences over the years/models/copies. I also have a Westernfield model 30 thats practically the same with a few small parts differences it seems. Id like to get the 520 running again.

The 520 is missing a firing pin (easy enough i have found 1 already) however whatever spring the holds the magazine lifter(?) Down either isn't there or not working. The lifter rides up to sit below the bolt and flops around. This causes it not to load correctly. In the model 30 it seems slightly different there the way its set up and works (has a small coil spring that the 520 doesn't seem to have a spot for). I believe the model 30 to be slightly newer and to have some changes. (Here is where i don't know the history of the companies/copies)

The 520 also has a hard time keeping the shells in the tube however i think i see the small flatspring in the side thats supposed to do that. Its pretty much laying flat now no small bend to hold them in.

Its been some time since i messed with them last but with winter here i will be again. When i looked up parts diagrams i believe there are a few different variations and i wanna be sure im finding the correct one if anyone knows. That way i can completely strip it and see whats actually missing.

520 serial is. 79013
Model 30 is. 1309
Serials for an idea on years. I looked them up before but have since forgot, need to start keeping notes

Pics for some refrence i can get more. 520 is the nice one. Model 30 is the ugly paint job i may try to fix one day. But cannot beat a 100$ shotgun that works.

Any and all positive help appreciated!

Wood Sleeve Flooring Tints and shades Denim

·
Registered
17 Posts
The 520s are my all time favorite shotgun and I've put a few of em together. I can tell you it's not unusual at all for the shells in the magazine the rest on the lifter and not the shell stop. The lifter springs have a few different styles, single and double leg, and if you get on you may have to subtley bend or modify the spring to get it to work with your gun. Your 520 is the older one, it's not the very first pattern but it's close. I'll try to remember to get mine out when I get home and post more info, I have a 520, model 30, and 520A.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The 520s are my all time favorite shotgun and I've put a few of em together. I can tell you it's not unusual at all for the shells in the magazine the rest on the lifter and not the shell stop. The lifter springs have a few different styles, single and double leg, and if you get on you may have to subtley bend or modify the spring to get it to work with your gun. Your 520 is the older one, it's not the very first pattern but it's close. I'll try to remember to get mine out when I get home and post more info, I have a 520, model 30, and 520A.
Thank you much! I really need to take it apart again and see whats in there. Looking forward to more, thats the kind of info i was hoping for.

edit I'm guessing i need the double leg lifter spring as those seem to be referenced as the "older style" and if i remember right the model 30 has a single leg and didnt seem like it'd work in the 520.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Musser13,
The Model 520 (79013) will have an A suffix to that number and is from around 1922.

The Western Field Model 30 (1309), a store brand Model 520, should have either a C suffix or a U prefix. A “C” gun would be from around 1933 and a “U” gun from around 1935.

Internally these guns are very different. The earlier one has a recoil block in the left side of the receiver and doesn’t unlock after a dry fire. The later gun has the coil spring you noticed that does away with the recoil block by putting pressure on the slide lock release.

I don’t have access to my notes and guns at the moment but I believe both shotguns should use the double lifter spring, the single spring is for the later Model 520A (1940-1949). Can’t remember exactly.

Jack First gun parts is the best source for remanufactured lifter springs.

Here’s a history of these shotguns that I wrote a few years ago that will answer some questions: https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/stevens-520-and-520a-identification-guide-2617.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
Musser13,
The Model 520 (79013) will have an A suffix to that number and is from around 1922.

The Western Field Model 30 (1309), a store brand Model 520, should have either a C suffix or a U prefix. A “C” gun would be from around 1933 and a “U” gun from around 1935.

Internally these guns are very different. The earlier one has a recoil block in the left side of the receiver and doesn’t unlock after a dry fire. The later gun has the coil spring you noticed that does away with the recoil block by putting pressure on the slide lock release.

I don’t have access to my notes and guns at the moment but I believe both shotguns should use the double lifter spring, the single spring is for the later Model 520A (1940-1949). Can’t remember exactly.

Here’s a history of these shotguns that I wrote a few years ago that will answer some questions: https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/stevens-520-and-520a-identification-guide-2617.html

I know that the 520A does definitely use the single leg spring, I had to fix that on mine, I'll have to check the 520 and model 30 when I get home. I never knew that later versions can unlock on a dry fire, I though none of the would because of how the shotgun is inertia locked when in battery. I don't think my 520A unlocks on a dry fire, was it just the Model 30 that does that?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Musser13,

Thank you i actually found your history earlier today and was reading it. Very informative. I am sure i am misremembering on the spring style its been about a year since i had them apart.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Slider,
All the Model 520s (and varieties) had inertia blocks between 1909-1925 (two different styles). In 1925 the inertia block was dropped and a coil spring was added to the hammer pin that puts pressure on a bracket on the side of the slide lock release. This new design was used on all 520/520A/620/620A shotguns and automatically unlocks the action after a dry fire although it sometimes requires slight forward pressure on the action arm in tight guns. If your 520A isn’t unlocking than the spring is bent. The Model 30 is just what Stevens called their base 520s when sold as a store brand.

Musser13,
Thanks, glad you got some use out of it. A lifter spring and sometimes the little lifter pawl spring will usually correct most loading issues as long as the shell stop is functioning.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
First Mr. M, Congrats on your "nice pair!" :) I've been a fan of the 520 for a long time. Most of my 520 info has been from Coppertales who frequents this Forum & he's been my go-to info expert. Not to 'dis' anyone else here, just that he's very knowledgeable. Hopefully if you don't get your diagram, he can help you.
I personally prefer my 520 models as my tea. One lump, not two. :) They're great & interesting guns.
Best!
John

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The 520 does appear to have the single lifter spring. It seems to be wore out? It just sits below the lifter arm and doesn't put more than a little pressure on it. Lifter arm will slip past and fall up in.
Wood Fixture Gas Metal Building material

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Slider,
All the Model 520s (and varieties) had inertia blocks between 1909-1925 (two different styles). In 1925 the inertia block was dropped and a coil spring was added to the hammer pin that puts pressure on a bracket on the side of the slide lock release. This new design was used on all 520/520A/620/620A shotguns and automatically unlocks the action after a dry fire although it sometimes requires slight forward pressure on the action arm in tight guns. If your 520A isn’t unlocking than the spring is bent. The Model 30 is just what Stevens called their base 520s when sold as a store brand.

Musser13,
Thanks, glad you got some use out of it. A lifter spring and sometimes the little lifter pawl spring will usually correct most loading issues as long as the shell stop is functioning.

I have it apart now and wonder if you might see something missing. Looking at a reply of yours to someone else with one of these, I believe i am missing a spring here (red circle). The extractor part (double claw) and shell stop are still in the reciever.

Also the shell stop (if thats what it is) seems to sit flush and not actually stop any shells. (2nd picture) I do have the small set screw.

Wood Tool Gun accessory Antique tool Metal

Water Wood Flooring Floor Rectangle

·
Registered
286 Posts
Musser13,
Someone has used the wrong lifter spring, you need the two-leaf spring. Jack First remakes these and they’re good quality.

The spring that goes in the red circle area is the inertia block spring. No one remakes them but a competent gunsmith can fabricate one, it’s a coil around that pin with a bent end that goes under the post on the inside of the inertia block.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Musser13,
Someone has used the wrong lifter spring, you need the two-leaf spring. Jack First remakes these and they’re good quality.

The spring that goes in the red circle area is the inertia block spring. No one remakes them but a competent gunsmith can fabricate one, it’s a coil around that pin with a bent end that goes under the post on the inside of the inertia block.
Alright i will have to find an image of that missing spring and someone who can make 1 for me.
Appreciate the info on the lifter spring. Jackfirst seems to be out of stock on the doubles but i found them elswhere. 1 last question before i make an order. What firing pin style do i need? Older 1 as well. Now i see after looking through all the parts on Jackfirst that there are a few styles.

This is much appreciated! Id love to get this thing running again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts