Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm considering buying a Stevens 5100 16 gauge sxs and have only one concern at this point that is keeping me from pulling the trigger (pardon the pun).

Below the "5100" on the right hand side of the receiver is the word "second" stamped into the metal.

As nears as I can tell the gun shoots great, has good wood, etc. but that "second" has me puzzled and so far I have not been able to find any information on-line about what it may mean. I even called the most knowledgeable gun seller in my town (selling guns for over 40 years) and he has no answer for me either.

I have posted the picture (link) below.

So, does anyone know for sure? Thank you for sharing your time and expertise with me. :)

View attachment 5100 -second smaller-.bmp

·
Silver Bullet member
36,322 Posts
Probably a factory second with a cosmetic blemish. It's rare but I've heard of A. H. Fox doing it, and of one other Stevens with a 'second" stamp. http://foxcollectors.com/My Forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5319

After 60 or 70 years the original blemish is probably long gone. It should have several letters usually stamped on the frame waterline and a barrel flat. These are inspector and proof marks and it should have all but maybe a final inspection. If it failed proof it'd be scrap. If its not on face or is loose , the opening lever over to the left it should be obvious that it's worn, but I doubt it came out of the factory that way.

Regardless the "second' mark may scare potential buyers and it should be priced accordingly. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.