Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of getting one of the semi auto sten kits, using a Sten Mk3 kit I have and one of the paratrooper pistol grips. WOuld it be legal to make a sten pistol with the original barrel length if I permemety attach the pistol grip so its a pistol?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I'd say that if you're using a semiauto Sten kit (especially an "approved" kit) you have nothing to worry about. Use virgin receiver tube (i.e., not an MG tube) and don't build what would qualify as an MG (open bolt, uses original/unmodified FCG, etc...) or an SBR (shoulder stock) and you'll be fine under federal law.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, I am planning on using a legit semi auto kit and new semi tube. The kits uses an AR bolt I believe (closed) and I really want to avoid the big long barrel look, I think the pistol grip (welded) will be worth it for a sten as I think I would shoot it like a pistol even if I had the wire stock. Thanks for the response!

·
Copper Bullet member
5,393 Posts
It would be like those new PPS-43 guns avaliable from MGS. If someone made a pistol version of the sten I should would be interested in a purchase.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
John's got a valid point...welding the pistol grip on would effectively stop you from field stripping the gun. My question would be, "why weld it on in the first place?"

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
geez, good point, I guess I have not fully thought this through. I would have thought I would have to have some way the gun could not easily be converted to a rifle since you cant have SBR's in WA where I live.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about ease of conversion to an SBR. As long as you don't have the parts (such as an SMG stock) there's no danger. Think about the Thompson-Center Contender...it's super easy to switch from a pistol grip to a should stock and back again. Come to think of it, even if you have an SMG stock, as long as you have a 16" bbl and meet the minimum OAL of 26", and thus a legal combination, you'd be OK under the precedent set by the Thompson-Center case.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
54,878 Posts
not trying to stir the pot or anything,
but isn't there some law in WA concerning owning any NFA parts?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you cant own (or buy anymore) any part that could be used exclusively in a machine gun. But the kits themselves converted to semi are legal. Kits and parts like sten kits are sold at gun shows here. WA sucks in that you cannot own a machine gun or short barrel rifle unless you are law enforcement or military.

·
Copper Bullet member
5,393 Posts
Move to a full auto friendly state where your collecting dreams can be fullfilled if you have the money. I live in Texas where it is allowed and I own one SBR and one full auto, both of which I love and will go to the grave with me.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
54,878 Posts
you cant own (or buy anymore) any part that could be used exclusively in a machine gun. But the kits themselves converted to semi are legal. Kits and parts like sten kits are sold at gun shows here. WA sucks in that you cannot own a machine gun or short barrel rifle unless you are law enforcement or military.
we (actually my fathers business) used to buy a lot of parts from SGW/Olympic back in the 80's and 90's,

always found it odd, that a company could sell us a short barrel or M16 part, but someone that worked there could not buy the same,

i have also refused a couple of sales off NFA parts to folks from WA on gunbroker because of that law,

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, WA has alot of stupid gun laws, but at least its not like someplace like MA, CT (lived in both of them, glad I left!) or CA yet. Well the original question assumed i could get the SAS sten semi auto kit but after a couple of emails to them with no response I am not going to risk sending my money into the void.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I recieved an email from Al at SAS and he is producing the kits so they are available. Said there is about a 2 week turnaround. I think I will order one next week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts