Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a bunch of China 7.62x39 ammo some of it is boat tail. When I melt the lead out of the bullet, all there is is a steel case.
The site below say if its boat tail its steel core.
Info from: http://www.makeyourowngear.com/Articles.php?action=detail&g=content1146681053
"You can't use a magnet to check if your ammo has steel core bullets!
All Chinese ammo uses bullets made with copper plated steel jackets, So using a magnet is useless because it will be sticking to the steel bullet jacket and not the steel core. The only way to tell if your ammo is steel core is to pull a bullet. Steel core bullets are over 1
All Chinese ammo uses bullets made with copper plated steel jackets, So using a magnet is useless because it will be sticking to the steel bullet jacket and not the steel core. The only way to tell if your ammo is steel core is to pull a bullet. Steel core bullets are over 1" long, have a boat tail, and have black sealer on them. In the pic the steel core bullet is on the left and the lead core on the right.

Only Chinese factories 31, 71, 311 and 351 made lead core ball. (maybe 61 also, but not sure)
Any other Chinese factory code will be steel core.
Lead core ball from 31 ALWAYS has a green case mouth seal.
Lead core ball from 71 ALWAYS has a knurled crimping groove on the projectile.
Lead core ball from 311 and 351 is harder to tell, but generally the rounds have NO case mouth seal or primer seal and date from 1991-1994
The earliest known lead core from 31 is 1990 dated.
The earliest known lead core from 71 is 1988 dated. "

Will the steel core ammo have lead in it?
I have 'steel core' 7.62x54R ammo. There is a steel rod rod inside the lead bullet.
Will the China steel core or AP ammo have a steel rod in it? Is the bullet solid steel?

<<<All ammo packed in the paper wrapped bundles has steel core bullets.>>>
The boat tail ammo I have is wrapped in paper. 351/88 and has black sealant on the bullet.
Do I have steel core ammo? Is it AP?

What real steel core ammo and what is AP ammo?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If your ammo is headstamped "351 88", came in paper wrappers and has a 1" long boat-tailed projectile, it should be steel core. The only boat-tailed Chinese 7.62x39mm without a steel core that I know of in over 20 years of collecting is headstamped "31 90" and "31 91". Is the black sealant you refer to around the outside of the case mouth or inside the case? There is some lead inside a steel core projectile, but it will have the steel "rod" like the 7.62x54r steel core. Steel core ball is NOT AP by anyone's definition besides the BATFE. Real AP (not API) in 7.62x39mm is very rare and was only made by a few countries and none have been imported to the US in any quantity.

D.D.
The sealant is both, it can be seen on the outside and inside when pulled.
No rod came out when I pulled the bullet and melted the lead. I cut the tip if the bullet too.
After cutting and melting, I can see through the bullet. I is much like the Russian steel bullets I have melted except that the China bullet is thicker steel.

I have many different boxes of 7.62x39. It would be nice if I had one that was steel core with a steel rod.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.