Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,366 Posts
I've used an old travel iron, a cast iron flat iron and for small dents a tapered steel cake knife heated on a stove eye.
You aren't supposed to steam the stock with steam itself you wet a cloth and hold it over the dent then apply the heated iron. the heat pushes the generated steam into the grain raising it. I've gotten out dents over 1/4 inch deep that way without disturbing the finish of the surrounding wood.

I've refurbished old furniture and sewing machines as a hobby so I picked up alot of these tricks of the trade long before I used them on stock repairs.
Taking out dents and drawing out oil is even tougher on very old Singer machines than it is on most rifles.

The iron/rag procedure works for small dings & dents. If you need to work on the really big & deep dents that occurred from careless handling of "old junk" rifles thrown into a scrap bin to sell to US collectors, you need some serious steam.
I may give that a try one day but with enough patience the iron and rag does as well. You just have to apply it as often as necessary.
I use trisodium phosphate to leech out oils by recrystalization which draws the fat molecule into the crystals and they push themselves to the surface.
Hanging the stock over a heater and letting most of the oils work out the end grain first is best.

Time consuming but worth the effort in the long run.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.