Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
can anyone tell me how to steam out dents in a stock?
thanks

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
Good website - but I wet the wiood in the dent directly, too, since you want the heat and steam to swell the fibers there, pushing it back to shape.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm with jjk308 as to wetting the wood directly. A lot of old clunkers have so much oil soaked into the wood it can be hard to get the water to penetrate. Also, an old steam iron works really well, especially if you have a lot of dings to raise.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,322 Posts
Fire up an old pressure cooker with the pressure regulator removed. Once at a full boil, a hefty column of steam will blast out from the regulator stem. You can not only steam out dents & scrapes, but it will aid in removing some surface cosmoline absorbed into the wood.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I used a rice cooker. The lid has a hole in it about 3/16" across that spews a pretty healthy column of steam, not unlike the pressure cooker mentioned by AZShooter. since the pot is removable, it can be placed on a stove burner directly. It worked wonders on my K31 stock.

·
Registered
331 Posts
After steaming, try applying a hot iron directly to the wood. I have used this technique successfully to eliminate dents and gouges. Typically you will see dents where someone tried to drive the barrel bands off a rifle without loosening the screw, resulting in gouges, I have smoothed these out by alternately steaming and ironing directly....

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Steam iron worked really well and son set about ironing out several stocks.
Wrath of wife was really nasty blast when she discovered the cosmoline residue left on the iron ....

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hee Hee, heard that one before!!! Buy a used iron for a couple of bucks at the local thrift shop, and stash it in the garage...;^)

·
Registered
230 Posts
When I recommended using an old steam iron, perhaps I should have been a bit more specific. DON'T use your wife's steam iron! LOL!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'll have to read all the replies after posting my response, but I was doing just this today.

I boiled a pot of water, & while still boiling, repeatedly dipped a ladle into the water & just poured the scalding hot water onto the stock many, many times.. So far I think it's been working great, even though it also seems to have taken off, and/or melted the shellac finish.

Sure did remove a whole ton of scratches as well as bring out some grease, oil, etc. :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Fire up an old pressure cooker with the pressure regulator removed. Once at a full boil, a hefty column of steam will blast out from the regulator stem. You can not only steam out dents & scrapes, but it will aid in removing some surface cosmoline absorbed into the wood.
\

I've always used an electric iron and a wet cotton ball, but this is a great idea I will definitely try... Thanks AZshooter...

·
Registered
251 Posts
I use a wet paper towel and an electric soldering iron. Place the towel on the dent apply the iron. Done quite a few stocks this way.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Larry Potterfield does a good tutorial for this on the MidwayUSA youtube channel. He always makes this stuff look so easy.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Lots of good info and ways of removing dents and dings in stocks.

I'll add that when I have a large - deep dent / ding I sometimes wet a piece of sponge and let it soak on top of that area for a few hours keeping the sponge damp and then apply a steam iron.
Works every time.
Just don't get the sponge dripping wet.

·
Registered
695 Posts
This is how I have done it for years and it works great, take a wash cloth, wet a section of it, put it on the dent, put wife's iron on the wet spot and steam until the dent is removed. Im not married so I can get away with it. And if your not putting it directly on the wood it doesn't stain the iron. If dent isn't fully removed rewet the cloth and resteam it.

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,050 Posts
There is a great Vid on utube by a guy named IRAQVET , about total refinishing a piece including the Stock dents I have used his steps several times and the dent removal works great ---- GOOD LUCK

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,801 Posts
Go to your local thrift store; aka: Goodwill, ARC, Salvation Army, etc. and pick up a used steam iron. Likewise, check the local garage sales, flea markets, etc. It will definitely keep your wife/girlfriend in a better mood.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts